Jambands.ca

just finished Waiting For Barbarians, recommend a book plz.

Have you read "On A Cold Road" by (Rheostatic) Dave Bidini? It's a collection of stories of Canadian rock'n'roll life on the road, told amidst the threaded tale of the Rheostatics.

I'll second that recommendation. I read it while we were on the road (actually Dima - I'd HIGHLY recommend 'On The Road' by Jack Kerouac...I think you'd dig it) - although we were touring in the summer so the road wasn't so cold at the time ;). Inspiring, somewhat, to say the least.

Otherwise go for "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy O'Toole. Brilliant. Couldn't put it down.

Edit to add: I also recently finished A Fine Balance. Very powerful.

Edited by Guest

on the road is great....a confederacy of dunces...meh, but i think it won a pulitzer, you be the judge....

i'd recommend killing yourself to live by chuck klosterman....chuck's a music journalist and he goes on the road to research and write this article turned novel about music and death and how the two are intertwined. along stu dog's theme, i'd recommend mr. nice by howard marks. it's an autobigraphy by the biggest guy in hashish in the 70's/80's...the rise and fall of his hashish empire.

Check out "Acts of Faith" by Philip Caputo. It takes place in Sudan during the midst of civil war and examines the effectiveness of humanitarian aid both on a public and private scale, and questions the motives of missionaries, etc. and just how much good their work is doing. He's got a lot of different characters coming from all different sides so if nothing else, it gives you a chance to think about how someone else might see something that you could consider so good and pure, as so predominantly evil.

I just finished reading 'After The Quake' by Haruki Murakami, a book of - short stories. It was awesome, you should read it.

just placed a hold through the library system. Thanks.

in the vein of short stories are the personal family recollections of NPR & Times (?) journalist David Sedaris. A truly hilarious re-telling of one uber-fucked up family/chilhood. I'm talking side-splittingly funny. I'd recommend any of

• Barrel Fever
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
  • Dress Your Family in Corduroy and...
  • Naked

I just finished reading 'After The Quake' by Haruki Murakami' date=' a book of - short stories. It was awesome, you should read it.[/quote']

just placed a hold through the library system. Thanks.

in the vein of short stories are the personal family recollections of NPR & Times (?) journalist David Sedaris. A truly hilarious re-telling of one uber-fucked up family/chilhood. I'm talking side-splittingly funny. I'd recommend any of

• Barrel Fever
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
  • Dress Your Family in Corduroy and...
  • Naked

Nice! Have you read any of Murakami's other books? After reading those short stories I'm looking forward to checking out some more soon. I'll look for some of those Sedaris books too.

d_rawk's "wtf" comment about the Bible brought to mind a good one to read: Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed The Bible and Why by Bart Ehrman. It could have been a lot drier than it is, and it could have been a lot more damning of the Bible than it is, but it ends up striking the right chord (with me, anyway), giving concrete examples of how/where the Bible has been changed, and the problems that textual scholars face when trying to find out what's original and what isn't. It's also a pretty easy read, and not that thick.

Aloha,

Brad