Jambands.ca

Billy Bragg - Ottawa - Sat - extra ticket!

Douglas

from Billybragg.co.uk

Another hell of a show, as always. When he went off on his patter, I took a few notes, and filled in with what I could remember. Keep in mind I was close to the front of the stage, so I didn't pick up the sound from the speakers directly, so if I get a word or two wrong about the patter, please feel free to correct me.

--To Have and To Have Not

--(his special tea, containing rose hips and goat pheremones; he then went on about male goats' mating habits, which became a running joke throughout his set)

--NPWA

--A Lover Sings

--(jamesbluntisa .com/jacket/Simon & Garfunkel & Englishness)

--John Barleycorn/England, Half English

--(stage diving)

--Farm Boy

--Like Soldiers Do (quiet version with new verse)

--(don't follow the U.S. into war)

--Greetings to the New Brunette

--The Tatler

--(voice blowout at SXSW/Johnny Clash voice)

--Folsom Pinball Blues (excerpt; I think somebody told him about Lucky Ron, a local country singer who sings the Who's "Pinball Wizard" to the music of Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues")

--(goat-piss-face succubus)

--Old Clash Fan Fight Song

The rap after this had Bill discovering what a lot of the rest of us have already discovered: Entertaining garbage on the internet. He reported that more people are watching YouTube than MTV nowadays, and talked about his favourite animal videos at length:

--Hamster eating a biscuit bigger than itself, filmed from below, pausing to make a couple of noises before scarfing away again (there's tons of hamster vids here, and I can't be bothered to search them all on dialup; if you find it, please post the link)

--Muffy the cat vs. ceiling fan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgEbQ7w2gdk)

--Talking Cats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqGwNPquriE)--The last cat freaked him out and apparently gave his son nightmares.

Back to the music:

--The Saturday Boy (whistles the first trumpet solo; has the audience imagine the second one and throws in a guitar flourish)

--(Cynicism is the enemy)

--I Keep Faith

--The World Turned Upside Down

--(lighters vs. cell phones)

--Ontario, Quebec & Me

--Waiting For the Great Leap Forward (more shifting lyrics)

Encore:

--Eisler On the Go

--(about Hans Eisler)

--Black Wind

--(about Leadbelly)

--Bush War Blues

Encore 2:

--The Milkman of Human Kindness

--Sexuality (when he got to "Stop playing with yourselves," he switched it to "Stop pissing in your face," in reference to the goats, and then laughed so damn hard that he couldn't finish the song properly, but did get to the mic to sing the word "bestiality" before breaking up again)

--A New England (and man, did the crowd ever sing along to this one)

It was awesome.