Jambands.ca

bike theft protection

AdamH

My poor co-worker keeps getting things stolen from her bike. She had locked up the frame and front wheel but didn't know what a quick release was, and why it was on her rear wheel. Somebody nicked that along with the gears and rear derailleur. Fair enough, lesson learned and now of course no quick releaseon the rear or front. Doulbe u-locks on the front wheel/frame and back wheel.

So last night someone stole the cantilevered brake off the front, but not the back. Odd eh? And this is all happening around 5:00 or 6:00 at Slater and O'Connor, a pretty busy area at that hour.

ANy suggestions on instituting full lockdown on vulnerable parts like the steering column and brake components? Looks like most of it uses allan keys which are pretty easy so is it worth changing out all the fasteners or something?

I am worried about theft as well and wondering how to prevent it. While most of Toronto is succeptible to bike theft, The Annex, where I live, is notorious for bikes dissapearing.

I've been told to "uglify" my bike in order to make it less desirable, however I've had some other friends that told me it doesn't make a difference. Any thoughts on how to "uglify"? Is it even worth it?

I am worried about theft as well and wondering how to prevent it. While most of Toronto is succeptible to bike theft, The Annex, where I live, is notorious for bikes dissapearing.

I've been told to "uglify" my bike in order to make it less desirable, however I've had some other friends that told me it doesn't make a difference. Any thoughts on how to "uglify"? Is it even worth it?

my bike was just stolen and it was pretty unattractive from what I understand - to me it was a bike - it was bright yellow and heavy as f*ck BUT it was my bike. Apparently it wasn't locked properly which I wasn't aware of but in any case it's gone and eventhough I haven't been on it in ages and I unfortunatly commute to Markham to work so I didn't rely on it as a means of transportation it still sucks because since its been gone (only one week) 6 things have come up where I think hmm I'll bike...that thought hasn't crossed my mind in ages but of course now that it's not there I miss it :(

For anyone interested on a deal on bikes and bike stuff;

image3251.jpg

http://www.mcbridecycle.com/

After 97 years of service to the community, McBride Cycle is closing its doors. The company is in receivership – EVERYTHING – absolutely EVERYTHING - must be sold!

All remaining motorcycles are reduced for immediate liquidation.

All motorcycle and bicycle accessories including jackets, one and two piece suits, helmets, boots, gloves, tires and lubricants will be 40% off of their regular retail prices. Over $800,000 of accessories must be sold – there are no exceptions!

All adult and children’s bicycles, including downhill, x-country, hybrid, mountain & racing models are 30% off their regular retail price! No exceptions! 30% off all bicycles!

Our liquidation sale starts Tuesday, September 26th at 10:00am. We will stay open Tuesdays to Fridays from 10:00am until 7pm and Saturdays from 10:00am until 5:00pm. We will be closed on Sundays and Mondays. We will be here until everything, absolutely everything is gone.

So please come on down for a last look. Come and share your memories of a great Toronto icon for almost a century.

We thank you for your patronage over the last 97 years.

The McBride Family

McBride Cycle

2797 Dundas Steet West

Toronto, Ontario

M6P 1Y6

Edited by Guest

ANy suggestions on instituting full lockdown on vulnerable parts like the steering column and brake components? Looks like most of it uses allan keys which are pretty easy so is it worth changing out all the fasteners or something?

suggest that she buy a $99 bike. I've left mine unlocked without any worries

Oh I've had 3 stolen in my life, and I'm riding a banged up shitter right now and STILL someone stole my $4 bell!

I don't have a bell yet, but now I know where to get a free one!

Yeah had I know I'd have sent her to the Bike Dump but her and another colleague both bought flashy bikes.

speaking of which the bike store next to Greek on Wheels (Cyclo's I think) is selling off their rental bikes for real cheap...like Bike Dump prices but really decent mountain and road bikes. Saw a bashed up Cannondale for $89!