Jambands.ca

Scotland photos (2nd batch added)

backbacon

awesome pics keri.. i love the one of your parents.. and all the ones of the well manicured trees... reminds me of alice in wonderland... i've always loved those kinds of castley gardens... one day i'll buy up acres and acres of good old kent county farm land and attempt to recreate something like that... here. i can't wait!

Thanks Birdy. yeah, I liked those fancy trees too... thus taking a photo of every single one almost. Good luck with your home garden project. I hope that works out for you!

Thanks PalacePrincess! I htink that's the first time you have called bacon. Hm. I don't think you copied the url for th photo right. It should end in jpg not ?v=0. I guess I'll never know what picture you like.

Quitting time in 6 minutes! Woo hoo!

Jeez, fricken people coming to my desk to ask silly questions at three minutes to quitting time. Joke!

QQC, that was the road that lead to that fancy garden place. The picture is a screen shot from the video I took as we drove down that road.

The video is about 5 minutes long and features John Prine's Taking a Walk as the soundtrack.

I took about 10 gigs or 4 hours of video on my camera. Most of it is driving down crazy roads with music playing.

Now... 9 more minutes! Woo hoo!

for some reason flickr always puts that '?v=0' on the end of the url of the bigger clicked on picture.. i have no idea why.

My guess that they do it to make embedding the image more difficult. If you take that bit off the URL, then it works fine inside the "image" tags, otherwise it doesn't.

Aloha,

Brad

Oh didn't see a couple of posts up ther.e..

thanks Timouse! Good to hear.

beautifull pictures

the house is something else

were you any where near south lanarkshire?

lee castle is there, was owned by leslie peter,s ,just sold it

a big question if john travolta bought it or not

i met leslie a very nice gentleman indead

his heart was flown over and burried by the peace tree,oak

he was the 33rd baron, married to my cousin,by marriage,

he died in 2000

Thanks popo and yes, it was really something to see that house I had only before seen in pictures.

Interesting about the castle. I was pretty close to South Lanarkshire, having been in Glasgow. Probably drove right past it when we drove to England. I just read that it was rumoured Travolta was looking to buy it to turn it into a Scientology center.

109.jpg

"Robert the Bruce is reputed to have signed a charter under the branches of The Pease Tree, an ancient oak, still standing in front of the house. If true, the tree is well over 600 years old."

From: http://www.castlesofscotland.com/wordpress/gothic-castles-for-sale/14/08/2006/

"A plaque on the floor of the family chapel, inscribed with the Latin words Numquam Despera, ‘never give up’, marks the spot where Leslie Peter’s heart is buried."

'>bbc_logo.gif

Castle for sale on internet site:

_39902556_castle203.jpg

Sellers are hoping to get in the region of £8m for the castle

A castle complete with 250 acres of land and its own baronet's title is up for sale on the internet auction site eBay with a price tag of £4m.

The sellers of Lee Castle in the Clyde Valley near Lanark have struggled to find a buyer for the building, which is 700-years-old.

They said the property has attracted a lot of interest on eBay.

Although the price tag reads £4m, the selling agents Remax International said they hope to get between £8m and £9m.

Pipes and drums

The poor exchange rate with the dollar is thought to have discouraged American buyers and a deal last November fell through at the last minute.

The new owner of the Gothic-style castle, should one be found, will also become the 35th Baron or Baroness of Lee.

Another prize that comes with the estate is the 25-member Pipes and Drums of the Barony of Lee who will play for the new residents at the baron's beckoning.

Gordon Lockhart, of Remax, said: "The owner will also have the privilege of registering their own coat-of-arms, motto and even the family tartan."

There have been three bids since the sale went on eBay, but the amounts have not been revealed.

A good read here:

newscom_logo.gif

"While serious bids have been received, the asking price of 8.5 Million Pounds UK (US$14 Million) has not been met. With bidding to close on Saturday, Lee Castle officials declined to say who the offers are from, but that Travolta is not one of them."

And that is pretty crazy that you were sort of related to and met Leslie Peter.

Here's an article that talks about him:

ts.gif

"The 30,000sq ft castle was previously owned by the American multi-millionaire Leslie Peters, who died from cancer in November 2002.

The flamboyant Mr Peters, who bought the castle in 1988, counted the former United States presidents Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton among his personal friends.

The eccentric businessman loved his Scottish home so much that he had his heart flown from the United States in a lead casket to be buried in the castle grounds.

His son Stephen Peters, who now lives in Florida, said it was a very difficult decision to sell the castle. At the time he said: "Selling it was a heartbreak but our family didn’t see the economics of keeping it.

"It was also hard to put a price on the castle, never mind the baron title that goes with it. The upkeep of the castle for the new owner will not be as bad as many people think. It will cost around £10,000 per month and about six people will be required to work there."

$250,000 a year in upkeep! Wowzers!

And that is pretty crazy that you were sort of related to and met Leslie Peter.

her name was Patrisha

she was lady patrisha,

her home is across the st from me thats how i met him leslie peter,s

she was my husband,s first cousin

he was very down to earth, and very kind , lovely to talk with

she designed all the writing paper etc which she gave me ,i have for a keep sake now

she took me out on the town one night, and we both got pisse=

i really was invited to the castle ,why i didn,t go i will never understand, he rmom and sister went, but she did send me a beautifull broach, which i gave away

yes it is a small world eh

she was a model

thats how she met him

thanks for the pictures, as they are lovely,nice to share them with everyone