Jambands.ca

Metheny/Mehldau @ Hummingbird

headygouda

Their new collaboration is great. I picked mine up over here at the recent Mehldau Trio show, and had it autographed by the band. It's really, really good - and it's interesting to hear Metheny play with a different pianist than Lyle Mays. Eight of the ten tracks are just the two of them, and on the other two they are joined by Brad Mehldau's rhythm section, Larry Grenadier and Jeff Ballard. Apparently, they recorded enough quartet material for an entire second album - which should also be freakin' awesome!

• 6 months later...

you were at one end of row 6, i was on the other end of row 6 (stage left....i saw your big hair at the other end of our row)....

this show reminded more of a jazz standards show, not nearly is 'out there' as The Way Up show was last time around...

However, i enjoyed it thoroughly!

Edited by Guest

I agree. It was much more mellow and spacey-jazzy than The Way Up. Metheny, himself, was definitely more subdued on stage.

That was incredible, though.

That drummer may be the greatest drummer I've ever seen. What was his name, Jason Ballard?

His name is Jeff Ballard and yes he was rediculous! Was right up there with Bill Stewart in my opinion. Although Bill plays quite a small kit. It was nice to see the Manzer Picasso Guitar too. That thing weighs almost 15 lbs!

His name is Jeff Ballard and yes he was rediculous! Was right up there with Bill Stewart in my opinion. Although Bill plays quite a small kit. It was nice to see the Manzer Picasso Guitar too. That thing weighs almost 15 lbs!

Agreed. I guess the luthier who made it was actually also in the audience; Lisa (?) Manzer or something like that. She must have been beaming with pride.

WOW!! I really enjoyed that show.. To be close enough to watch professionals like that in action is very educational.. Everything the drummer played made me move,, and Pat's "Miles Davis" midi trumpet sounds were pretty cool.

Was "the pikasso" the guitar used to record One Quiet Night ??

• 2 weeks later...

Just got me some tickets to see Metheny here in Seoul - not with Mehldau unfortunately, but Antonio Sanchez and Christian McBride make for some pretty worthy bandmates! This'll be my first time seeing Metheny in a trio setting (I've seen the full band a couple of times), so I'm looking forward to it!