Jambands.ca

Ottawa vs. Toronto

Del

I was at the game last night. All I can say, as a Sens fan, is "Yikes". An awful performance by everyone on the team.

The season is still young, but the Leafs look a lot better than last year - especially in the goaltending department.

There was a couple sitting beside me - him in a Leafs jersey, her in a Sens jersey. I'd be surprised if they're still together this morning!

lol ...

I love the Sens ... i make money off of them every year ... i just bet on them to lose in the playoffs (double-or-nothing if they win a round).

Got my bro-in-law for $50 at this time last year that the Sens wouldn't even make it to the Cup final. :) I tried to take bets with some other Sens fans to see how much they believed in their team when they were being touted as the next Champions last year. Even when the playoffs were about to start, none of 'em would put their money where their mouth was (except my bro-in-law).

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

np: Sugaree - gd1982-12-31

Roll Call - Leaf fans who only came out from under their rocks AFTER last night's game:

can-o-phish

afro poppa

Hal Johnson

Whitey

Kanada Kev

Where were ya after game one?

Not feeling the need to talk trash and hoist the Cup over my head after one game ... that's where .

I thought the Sens and Leafs played equally as mediocre as one another the first night. The Sen that has impressed me the most in the first two games is Eaves. Man, he's fun to watch.

Back to scheduling commercials for the next Sens game on CBC tomorrow ... I'm telling you, if you want to make bets with somebody watching the game, I can tell you what commercials will come up next and you can earn some good beer money

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Roll Call - Leaf fans who only came out from under their rocks AFTER last night's game:

can-o-phish

afro poppa

Hal Johnson

Whitey

Kanada Kev

Where were ya after game one?

Whaaaa????

Lemme see, as far as I know and have posted over the past several seasons, I've always cheered for the Loafs...

But then again your post is from someone who lives by that river known as "Denial"...just another comment from a silly sens fan... ;):P

And for the record, I'm pretty stoked about not only the young blood on the ice, but also behind the bench...Maurice, win or lose, is a welcomed addition to my Loafs!!!

As for that crotchity fugger Muckler who glares down from his little box, all that comes to mind is he's the offspring of The Grinch, Scrooge & Mr Booo-urnssss ;):P

Leafs CRUSH Sens...

Leafs rebound to crush Senators

Last Updated: Friday, October 6, 2006 | 12:25 AM ET

CBC Sports

The Toronto Maple Leafs bounced back from a lacklustre performance in their season opener to humble a stunned Ottawa Senators team Thursday night at Scotiabank Place.

Toronto produced an unexpectedly good night of special-teams play that spearheaded a convincing 6-0 win over the Senators in the back leg of a home-and-home series against its Northeast Division rivals.

Andrew Raycroft makes a save off Senators forward Patrick Eaves during Toronto's 6-0 win over Ottawa Thursday night at Scotiabank Place.

(Tom Hanson/Canadian Press)

The Leafs, who went 0-5 with the man advantage during their 4-1 defeat to Ottawa Wednesday at the Air Canada Centre, scored twice on the power play and also added another short-handed goal.

Darcy Tucker and Chad Kilger led Toronto with two goals apiece, while Kyle Wellwood led all scorers with four assists.

Leafs captain Mats Sundin also had a productive night, finishing the game with two assists.

Goaltender Andrew Raycroft had another solid performance for Toronto, stopping all 34 Ottawa shots. Despite Wednesday's lopsided defeat to the Senators, Raycroft made 32-of-35 saves.

"It's nice to get it out of the way," said Raycroft, who stopped 34 shots. "You don't want to go 0-2 to start the season, then the sticks start tightening up."

Turnabout for the Leafs

Missed scoring opportunities, an inept power play and poor defensive coverage contributed to Toronto's eighth loss in its last nine meetings against Ottawa prior to Thursday's game.

But this night proved a complete reversal for the Leafs.

Toronto surprised Ottawa with a short-handed goal at 11:03 of the first period to open the scoring.

With the Senators pressing in Toronto's zone, Chad Kilger broke up ice, took a pass from Mike Peca and blasted a low shot that beat goaltender Martin Gerber under his left pad.

"It was nice for us to get out and get a lead and see how we handle it," Kilger said.

The Leafs took a 2-0 lead more than three minutes later on the power play. Defenceman Bryan McCabe fed Darcy Tucker, who snapped a shot over the shoulder of Gerber to the short side.

Raycroft bailed out his teammates following a turnover in Ottawa's end that turned into a breakaway by Peter Schaefer.

As Schaefer raced in on Raycroft, the Toronto netminder alertly used a poke check to steer the puck out of harm's way with less than two minutes remaining in the first.

"I thought he played well [Wednesday]," Toronto coach Paul Maurice said of Raycroft, who drew some criticism from the media following the season-opening loss. "And I thought this was a just result."

Kilger notched his second goal of the game at 5:42 of the second period to give Toronto a 3-0 advantage.

Gerber left the puck behind the net following a Leaf shoot-in, expecting defenceman Wade Redden to pass by. However, Alex Steen beat the Ottawa defenceman to the puck and flipped a pass in front to Kilger, who converted a one-timer past Gerber.

The Leafs increased their lead to 4-0 with their second power-play goal less than four minutes later. Tucker grabbed the rebound in the slot and slid the puck under Gerber for his second goal of the night.

"We go in there and win and they pat themselves on the back it looked like," Senators coach Bryan Murray said of his team. "We talked about being a team that wants to work and play hard and we didn't do a very good job of that."

Forward Alexei Ponikarovsky gave the Leafs a five-goal lead with less than three minutes remaining in the second, redirecting Sundin's shot in front of Gerber.

After Gerber allowed five goals on only 24 shots through the first two periods, Senators coach Bryan Murray replaced him with Ray Emery to start the third.

The Leafs finished off the scoring in the third period on a goal by Bates Battaglia.

Lemme see, as far as I know and have posted over the past several seasons, I've always cheered for the Loafs...

I know that, it's just that I didn't see any comments from you lot after game 1. You know, the one that the Leafs lost. Easy to gloat when you hedge your bets.

Bah. Two games in and I already hate all of you. ;)

HA!!!...well, I'm not going to deny that my Loafs sucked hard opening night...that they did without question...

And I expected a stronger game from the Loafs last night but thought before the game that Ottawa would win but closer game overall...

But I WASN'T one of the silly Leafs fans saying "this year we're gettin' the cup"...I'll just be happier for a better season than last... :crazy:

ahhhhh...Hockey's Back!!!!!! :o:):o

alfredsson is the new jim kelly - except kelly was at least a finalist...

Ian Mendes:

With the Sens and Leafs playing back-to-back games to kick-off the season, there is plenty of material to write about. But thanks to the good folks at Rogers Sportsnet, I would like to bring up a point that was hammered home during our Hockeycentral Preview Show.

In a poll on our website, 73 per cent of you voted that the Ottawa Senators could not win the Stanley Cup with Daniel Alfredsson as their captain. That is truly an overwhelming number, especially when you consider that more than 15,000 people cast their vote.

But here's what I would like to know: Why is Alfredsson the easy target of critics - and yet Mats Sundin seemingly escapes with nobody questioning his ability in the clutch?

I'm not here to argue Alfredsson vs. Sundin - because we've explored that topic to death. I believe they are truly both world-class players and I would take either of them on my team in a heartbeat.

My question is more along the lines of why does it only seem like Alfredsson is criticized when it comes to his playoff performance?

I know your initial answer will be that it's because Sundin shows up in the clutch - whereas Alfredsson does not. But take a look at their career playoff stats and they are remarkably similar:

Sundin has played 77 playoff games with the Maple Leafs and has scored 32 goals.

Daniel Alfredsson has appeared in 79 playoff games with the Ottawa Senators and has tallied 29 goals.

Basically, these guys have played the same number of playoff games with their respective teams and they can only be separated by three goals. That doesn't seem like a massive discrepancy to me.

Okay, next you're going to tell me that I'm on crack-cocaine, because the Senators have a terrible record in the playoffs with Alfredsson leading the charge.

But in the past five seasons, here are the team's records in the playoffs:

Leafs with Mats Sundin: 32 wins, 31 losses

Sens with Daniel Alfredsson: 28 wins, 29 losses

Essentially, they have identical playoff records in recent history. Each captain has basically taken their team to a .500 record in the playoffs. Yet one captain is vilified by the media for having no heart and the other one just needs better linemates.

Just an observation from my part, but it seems we spend so much time slagging Alfredsson that we forget that maybe he's not so different than the guy down the road.