Jambands.ca

Run With The Kittens!!!!!!

zero

Fuck I know people have been talking about this band a bit but we really should have some tapers out at their shows. I saw them last night in Guelph for what is going to be a monthly residency at Jimmy Jazz and they were on fire. They're playing a weekly as they put it 'wallpaper' lounge gig at the Drake and it's really improving their listening skills and chops. They were all over the place last night with their swing waltz version of Easy E's Nigger Nigger (NWA tune is that it?) and a revamp of 911 Is A Joke. Their originals like Horrible Accusations and Tool of The Opera are awesome. The latter unites their two supposed loves: Tool and Phantom of the Opera. The vocalist Jake I think is his name dons the phantom mask and does a spot on James Maynard while the band does some industrial version of the Andrew Lloyd Webber hit. That was the least of it they had the crowd in stitches. They also had special guest Rockin' Ronnie who is like their Dude of Life.

Sorry not all in one night- like total repertoire. They easily play 25-30 tunes though, lots of weird humorous diversions and banter. This old timer with like a panama hat and a fanny pack (Ronnie) was their- sort of a Kittenhead and they did Rockin' Robin which they must do occasionally but you know Ronnie gets up and dances and jake dances with him, he was using the change in Ronnie's fanny pack to prod percussion out of what basically looked like Ronnie's nut sac- then he was sort of singing into Ronnie's nutsac.

I don't see any Ottawa shows in their calendar; I might be able to see them at The Cameron House on Dec. 19, but I'll be getting to Toronto on Dec. 18 (the day after Lauzon at Swizzles), and going to Sisters Euclid that (late) night, so it's doubtful for me.

Aloha,

Brad

• 1 month later...
Fuck I know people have been talking about this band a bit but we really should have some tapers out at their shows.

Do you know them to be cool with being recorded? It turns out that Sisters Euclid aren't playing tomorrow night :( , which means I should be awake enough to make The Cameron House on Tuesday, but since I won't be recording Sisters Euclid, I don't need to bring my rig for that, so if RWTK aren't OK with being recorded, I'd just as soon leave it at home.

Aloha,

Brad

I'm sure they'll be cool with it. You know I have one of the guys business cards so I would even go so far as to give him a shout by email and give him the heads up. The guitarist was a camper at Weirdness and my camp when we were on staff I'm sure Champagne James will be fine with it as the rest.

I saw you there up at the front Brad. Unfortunately when I showed up the place was so packed, there was barely even room for my friend and I standing just inside the front door. So we took off. I caught a few minutes of it though; sounded high energy and fun.

It was supremely fun. I became a Fan of these guys about five minutes into the first set. I heard things that sounded like Ween at times, as well as a fair bit of Tenacious D (especially in the second set), and other things that sounded totally their own. I was also impressed with the musicianship of the band: these guys can play their respective instrument(s) really well.

I'm considering suggesting them to Mavericks for the opening slot when The Golden Dogs play Ottawa in February, as that would be a killer bill.

Aloha,

Brad

Glad you liked it Brad. I tried to make it but just couldnt last night. Did you have a chance to look at the back room where the spades play? Its a cool little venue and they sounded great there last time. Also did you tape it last night?

cheers,

Jake

I recorded RWTK, and will be transferring, tracking, and burning it when I get to Ottawa next week.

No, I didn't check out the back room; I actually assumed (incorrectly, I now know) The Spades would be playing the front room, where RWTK played. (Which is/was an "Ooops!" on my part, as I had hoped to use last night to check out how/where to set up for The Spades.)

Aloha,

Brad