Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum

Kanada Kev

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mats is being given wayy too hard a time being pressured to break his contract. I completely understand the management side of things wanting to get something for Sundin. However, THEY signed the contract. LIVE BY IT. From what I gather, most no trade clauses are inserted into contracts with a reduction of the overall salary as an exchange for the "security". The Leafs should suffer for signing all their players and giving them the clause.

Now, if Sundin decides he's willing to move, it won't take long before he gets deemed a traitor. I don't care what they get in return for him. The situation was slightly different, but look at what happened to CuJo when he left for a "winning team" he got screwed, and the Leaf fans despised him for "wanting to be on a winning team".

Mats, you do what you want to do. I have full respect for you either way.

This situation is a wee bit different as Cujo wasnt being pushed out the door... but i do feel for the guy for th epressure he's feeling...

Moving Mats would definitely be beneficial in the long run... as well as moving a few others to drop some salary... I admire his dedication to the city and the team,his family and fans but in the long run he just may win a cup in Detroit, or Vancouver, Anaheim or Ottawa... and the Leafs may contend again in 3 or 4 years... i long for that day!

Mats is being given wayy too hard a time being pressured to break his contract. I completely understand the management side of things wanting to get something for Sundin. However, THEY signed the contract. LIVE BY IT. From what I gather, most no trade clauses are inserted into contracts with a reduction of the overall salary as an exchange for the "security". The Leafs should suffer for signing all their players and giving them the clause.

Now, if Sundin decides he's willing to move, it won't take long before he gets deemed a traitor.

Mats, you do what you want to do. I have full respect for you either way.

Quoted for truth.

Those may be the most poignant words I have ever read from you Kev. Great post man.

SUNDIN IS LEAFS 4 LIFE!!! I AM OVERJOYED THAT HE DECIDED TO STAY WITH THE CLUB! OUR CHANCES OF MAKING THE PLAYOFFS HAVE JUST INCREASED BECAUSE NOW TEAM MORALE IS GOING TO SOAR AND WE WILL START WINNING GAMES! SUNDIN SHOULD TAKE OVER THE GENERAL MANAGER ROLE NEXT YEAR BECAUSE HE PROVED THAT HE IS THE BEST LEAF EVER!!! THE LEAFS CAN ONLY BENEFIT FROM HIS DECISION TO STAY!!!!!

SUNDIN IS LEAFS 4 LIFE!!! I AM OVERJOYED THAT HE DECIDED TO STAY WITH THE CLUB! OUR CHANCES OF MAKING THE PLAYOFFS HAVE JUST INCREASED BECAUSE NOW TEAM MORALE IS GOING TO SOAR AND WE WILL START WINNING GAMES! SUNDIN SHOULD TAKE OVER THE GENERAL MANAGER ROLE NEXT YEAR BECAUSE HE PROVED THAT HE IS THE BEST LEAF EVER!!! THE LEAFS CAN ONLY BENEFIT FROM HIS DECISION TO STAY!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..

it was a joke right?

Seriously, why aren't more of you fans excited to hear that you'll be able to enjoy Sundin's leadership and playing ability for the remainder of the season?? I am uber-excited about seeing 'ol #13 scoring goals as the Leafs surge towards a playoff bearth!

Any player(s) that they would have received would be project(s) and wouldn't be able to play this year anyways. This way Sundin is saying that he's not giving up on the team! There is still a chance!!!

I'm loving this. So the Leaves are unable to get anything in return for their biggest (only?) asset. Look at what Philly and St. Louis were able to do at last year's deadline to improve their teams.

There will be lots of spin doctoring and talk of "loyalty" and "character", but bottom line, Mats decided for himself that he'd rather finish this season in the basement than compete in the playoffs.

From today's Toronto Star. Sometimes I really like Rosie:

Classless Leafs don't deserve Mats

by Rosie DiManno

Doug Gilmour. Wendel Clark. Rob Ramage. Rick Vaive. Darryl Sittler. Dave Keon.

All were Toronto Maple Leaf captains. And none retired from hockey in that capacity.

Mats Sundin intends to do so, damn it.

He is a man of his word, even if the franchise that employs him is not as equally steadfast.

But they shoot captains in this town. Some go tearfully, some plead to be released from bondage, some never forgive.

As one potential successor to Sundin said in the dressing room the other night when it was suggested he may inherit the captaincy: "How do you politely say no?''

Sundin had been politely saying no – or variations thereof, minimally qualified – to trade overtures for weeks on end. Although the formal invitation to consider relocation was extended by interim general manager Cliff Fletcher only a few days ago, and Sundin's input sought on preferred destinations, the answer that came back last night was as always stated.

Not going. Not waiving.

Can't make me.

Now we can all get back to the business of autopsying another lost season and apportioning blame.

Sundin took it upon himself yesterday to deny, as was written here, that he has ever blamed GM passim John Ferguson for either the club's troubles or his own predicament as reluctant trade bait and putative corrective, via prospects obtained in return.

"It's not true,'' Sundin insists. "I've never said that. I don't blame other people for what's going on. I would never blame John Ferguson for the whole situation in Toronto.''

Ferguson isn't the only villain of the piece, obviously. But his mishandling of long-term contracts lumbered with no-trade caveats and his poor assessment of talent has left the Leafs in a terrible fix, and the pressure mounted on Sundin to fix it by departing.

What Sundin may or may not be saying privately to friends is a fart in a mitten. What he has said repeatedly, and asserted through a released statement after speaking with Fletcher last night, is that he remains, however unfathomably, devoted to this club, to his teammates.

But there is a recurring theme here in the melodramas of Maple Leaf Land.

This is an organization without class and without conscience. Was a time that could be attributed to the deranged persona of Harold Ballard, a bully and misanthrope who abused staff, shamed players and held fans in contempt. But at least there was a face to put to the bungle and a desk where the buck stopped.

If you were to call the Leafs' front office today and ask to speak with the person in charge, who in the world might that be? It's a board of directors accountable to no one except shareholders and immune from scandal.

A few years back, the Leafs announced things were going to be done different. Alumni were welcomed back, the diaspora of beloved ex-Leafs embraced, vows of integrity expressed. In practice, little has changed. It remains a franchise without a soul, for all its iconic stature, thoughtless and disloyal.

Can you imagine the Detroit Red Wings treating Steve Yzerman, when in the eclipse of his career, as the Leafs are treating Sundin, even as respectful as Fletcher has attempted to be? Or the Montreal Canadiens similarly rushing Bob Gainey – his sweater retired on Saturday – out the door, with a slam-bang-thank-you capitaine?

The public has grown weary of sports idols who swap loyalties for the green, and rosier environments.

Would serve the Leafs right if, denied a deal for Sundin at the deadline, he refuses to re-sign here now.

But he won't.

The guy's only crime is that he's not a mercenary, that he's true.

All else is false.

I am excited that he is staying. It doesn't mean that they are going to make the playoffs this season, or even next maybe. However, he can be a valuable player for at least a couple of more seasons if he chooses to play. Aside from his hockey skills, he is an unbelievable asset as a leader and mentor to the younger players and (hopefully) some early round picks in the upcoming draft .

UGH! Damian Cox ... now Rosie? I'm feeling realy queasy now :P Her writing style is postively puke-making. The purple prose, and references to try to make her cool/hip are laughable.

What Sundin may or may not be saying privately to friends is a fart in a mitten.

WTF is that? I just can't take her seriously. It's not that I disagree with what she has to say, just don't find the way she says it appealing at all. She could be edited down to 3 paragraphs and save ink.

DiManno-5.jpg