Jambands.ca

Guy Terrifico... Rent it!!

edger

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else has seen this flick yet?

If I recall correctly, it's called Guy Terrifico, and it's basically a mockumentary about the trials and tribulations of a county-rock singer songwriter. It follows his rise to stardom, battles with "excesses", and other interesting storylines. There are guest appearances or "commentaries" from Ronnie Hawkins, Jennings, Cuddy & Keelor, etc.

I just thought it was really well done, closely mirroring a real biography of the times. The character is sort of Dylanish in some ways.

Anyhow, just curious if anyone else has seen it, and if so what your thoughts are. I personally thought it was really well done, and one of the better movies that I have seen in a long time.

Todd and I watched it last Saturday while we were recovering from the Burt Anniversary show, and it was the perfect movie to keep that musically induced nostalgia going.

Give it a glance!

I think it's really well done too. I'd say it's fair to say that Guy Terrifico is based on Lil' Orton Hoggett this character that Matt Murphy used to play in Halifax from time to time. Chris Murphy (no relation) from Sloan would be a German drummer and often call out in his germanic accent: "Orton!". It was the same trip a veteran of country music that's somehow flown below the radar. Very very funny to see live.

Only Murphy could have pulled that off. Dale Murray (Guthries, Matt Mays, Cuff The Duke) was his sideman in that and I thought he did a great job too. Dale and I joked that I channeled Guy Terrifico at Hillside this year.