Jambands.ca

I LOVE THE MULE!!!!!

M.G.C.

FINALLY!!! Just got my hands on the new Gov't Mule CD and I'm losing it.. Blew up my car stereo today and I'm ready to ROCK!!!

I LOVE WARREN!!!!!!!!!!!! DEC 1ST GANG AND THERE'S NO STOPPING ME.. GONNA LET MY FREAK FLAG FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like I'll be coming down for the Dec. 1 show at Kool Haus. (I was originally going to come down just for Mr. Something Something @ Gypso Co-op on Saturday, Dec. 2, but then I found about Gov't Mule, and then phorbesie offered up her extra for The Who on Monday, Dec. 4, which'll also mean I can see Sisters Euclid at The Orbit Room after The Who. "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Nothing exceeds like excess.")

I've never listened to Gov't Mule before, but I downloaded gm2006-11-14 for a taste of their recent stuff. Assuming I'm there, I may record it (I'll have my big rig to record Mr.SS).

Aloha,

Brad

I've never listened to Gov't Mule before

Brad I'm surprised. I think you'll like them.

There have been different Mule eras. They began as a trio, and were the most powerful trio I had ever heard. Original bassist Allen Woody was incredibly aggressive as a player, but it was warranted within the group; he was holding down all the rhythm playing, complimented by Matt Abts on the kit (one of my absolute favourite drummers) and of course Warren Haynes on guitar and vocals. Warren's main weakness is that he is something of a dinosaur rocker. Think Leslie West of Mountain. He seems to be perpetually in middle age; his voice, while powerful and expressive, is heavily rooted in blues-rock cliche; and his guitar playing, though it is virtuosic at times, is somewhat trapped within a certain mold. That said, though, he is the personality of the band and in buying into what he is all about, you buy into what he is expressing with the band. For the most part, I buy into what he does. Here are some mp3 examples I have kicking around of the Mule Trio, as I call them.

October 29, 1995 at Park West, Chicago, IL

Rocking Horse

Eternity's Breath Jam >

St. Stephen Jam

March 10, 1998 at Opera House, Toronto, ON

Pygmy Twylyte > Blind Man in the Dark >

Mother Earth

When Woody died in 2000, the band spent approximately 3 years playing with a rotating cast of bassists, also adding Danny Louis on keyboards in that time. Dave Schools of Widespread Panic played with them a great deal, as did Andy Hess, who toured with the Crowes before their hiatus. In 2003 they announced that Hess would be the new permanent bassist, and that lineup has remained intact.

They are certainly, in my books, the finest modern representation of Southern Rock that exists today. They also employ heavy nods to psychedelia and extended instrumental playing (in their own style of course), making them a highly entertaining act in my opinion. The only thing I find is that they have a big catalogue, so it's pointless to go to a show hoping and praying for a particular tune. What you get is what you get, and sometimes (a la last year's Kool Haus gig), you'll get a whole first set of fist-pumping cock-rock when you're looking for something a little more dynamic; but then you might be rewarded (a la the same gig) with a ridiculously intricate second set, wherein the band decides to cover, for example, three or four Beatles tunes in a row.

I think I'm going to be at the Dec 1 show. Looking forward to it.

They are certainly, in my books, the finest modern representation of Southern Rock that exists today.

Hmmm. I don't hear too much southern rock in their sound. I think they are one of the finest representions of heavy blues and just plain old guitar rock... the kind the ladies don't like. As for southern rock, no band writes better southern rock tunes than My Morning Jacket - and they aren't even a southern rock band per say.

I'll give you MMJ - a fine band who have consistently put out some fine records over the past couple years. I'm just getting back into It Still Moves after a couple years, I've had in the car for a couple weeks now. I don't think they're any more South than the Mule, though. They portray a significant modern and/or indie/whatever you want to call it rock influence, I think. Was it you, Jaimoe, who posted that link to the video of Jim James and bandmate playing on the radio? The other guy was playing pedal steel for a while, and it was great I thought.

As for Mule, though. Heavy blues, guitar-rock, yes. Even moreso when they were a trio. But I hear the South in there all over the place, especially since Deja Voodoo (the first record as a quartet). Between Warren's accent and lyrics and his pentatonic scales, to the fact that they're one of the few bands who will bust into a straight boogie, they've got Dixieland written all over them. Have a listen to the tune Wine and Blood from Deja Voodoo and tell me that isn't the most obvious marriage of the 70's Nashville sound and modern country radio you've ever heard. Wish I had an mp3, I'd post it. Edit: found it.

Wine and Blood

Anyway, you make a good point. Southern rock is only one part of their sound. The predominant other part is definately blues-rock/guitar-rock/classic-rock.

I hear you Rev. The Mule I like is the earlier trio stuff when they were as heavy as John Lee Hooker's tombstone. Certainly MMJ are a hybrid southern band, but they've produced some of the purest and greatest examples of southern epic guitar rock. Check out these tunes: Honest Man, Mahgeetah, Dancefloors, One Big Holiday (I've said it before, but I think this is the best southern rock song since Freebird), Run Thru, What A Wonderful Man and Lay Low. However, MMJ seem to be branching into more mainstream rock territory with some flirtations with country and folk - and not the other way around.

I think Warren Haynes is at his most powerful when he stays rooted in the heavier side of blues - including when he sings the blues.

I heard parts of their latest album at Bouches place and really enjoyed what I was listening to. The first impression gave me a much stronger compilation than their prior release. It makes sense if you think about it. The new members have had time to assimilate.

Lets not forget. Matt Abts is in that band. He's worth a ticket in my eyes. That is one pounding motherfucker.

EDIT TO ADD:

Thanks for all that Truckers talk over the years New Rider. You ended up selling me on them. A Blessing And A Curse is fantastic.

Some excellent points from the Rev that I aint none to quick to try and debate regarding the Mule employing 'southern rock'. Based on the limited knowledge of the Truckers that I have, Gov't Mule has it more than they do but what do I know?

I hate labels. Southern rock? That means so many different things to so many different people.

Is Frogwings a southern rock band?