Jambands.ca

I LOVE THE MULE!!!!!

M.G.C.

I tracked down an mp3 of Wine and Blood. Dig how much Southern rock is dripping off this tune. Bunch of slide guitar, the harmonies in the chorus, lyrics about a destitute old hopeless drunk of a woman.

Desiree's in disarray, waiting for her angels to come

Where she used to feel the weight of a thousand lifetimes

Now she just feels numb

But there was a time when her beauty raised the eyebrows of the town

Any man would gladly give up all he had just to take Desiree down

She stares out the window at the world passing by

She is caught beneath the wheel

Too heavy to lift - she feels too weak to try

People stare like strangers where once she might've asked them in

To fill the void where her heart once was

Now she just fills her glass again

And again

And she walks the floor less traveled

Thinks of a sad melody

Wine and blood don't mix like they used to

Now they just make memories

Too many years trying to do the right thing for the wrong man

Now the picture is clear

She drinks and she cries and she hides from the past

The truth is more bitter than the tears

All these half-truths and alibis help build a wall of denial

She takes comfort in the night - darkness blocks the light

From falling on her aging smile

Grey befalls her halo where there once was a golden mane

And her eyes don't shine like they used to

Without the moon, the sun would be in vain

So she walks the floor less traveled

Thinks of a sad melody

Wine and blood dont mix like they used to

Now they just make a memory

Too many years trying to the right thing for the wrong man

Now the picture is clear

She drinks and she cries and she hides from the past

The truth is more bitter than the tears

She puts on her make-up - though no one's seen her for days

Her silence is a lonely cry

She's trapped inside a maze

Her tears have turned to honey, drawing the black flies of depression

Desiree's in disarray waiting for her angels again

I want to laugh at the sterotypicality of the tune, but I kind of like it too much to do so! Great Lesli-fied solo, and you know with Warren he's playing it through a Leslie and not a simulator.

Wine and Blood

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to get into the debate of what I feel southern rock is, because as Booche pointed out that definition means different things to different people. And reading peoples definitions of what is or what is more southern rock then the other, I realize Booche's observation rings very true pertaining to me since I don't really see any of the bands mentioned in this thread as southern rock.

I love DBT & Mule but I don't put them in the same category as bands like Wet Willy, Marshall Tucker, Skynryd, Molly Hatchet or even ABB, regardless of Warren being an ABB member, to me Mule & ABB are night & day.

I love DBT & Mule but I don't put them in the same category as bands like Wet Willy, Marshall Tucker, Skynryd, Molly Hatchet or even ABB, regardless of Warren being an ABB member, to me Mule & ABB are night & day.

I agree. While I can't speak for DBT, when you compare Mule to the bands you mentioned above they are far from Southern Rock.

And as far as them being night and day with the ABB, I also agree. Too many people think of Mule and Warren they automatically think of ABB. They are completely different sounding bands that happen to share a guitarist.

I love DBT & Mule but I don't put them in the same category as bands like Wet Willy' date=' Marshall Tucker, Skynryd, Molly Hatchet or even ABB, regardless of Warren being an ABB member, to me Mule & ABB are night & day.[/quote']

I agree. While I can't speak for DBT, when you compare Mule to the bands you mentioned above they are far from Southern Rock.

And as far as them being night and day with the ABB, I also agree. Too many people think of Mule and Warren they automatically think of ABB. They are completely different sounding bands that happen to share a guitarist.

I agree with Alabama Man too. And Warren really alters his sound when he plays in the Allmans (at least since Dickey got the boot). On the Allmans last album, Haynes took on the Betts role, changing his style to make it sound more ABB "authentic".

Ok, ok, I'm outnumbered. I still hear the South in Mule, though. Maybe not as much as Skynyrd or Marshall Tucker, but I hear it in there.

Hey Aaron, that’s all good my friend. I certainly wasn't trying to change your opinion or prove otherwise. You know your music and probably a lot more then I do. I just have a different take on it is all, didn't mean to make it sound any other way. Sorta why I was reluctant to comment to begin with.

Anyway, we both agree that Gov't Mule kick ass.

I've never listened to Gov't Mule before

Brad I'm surprised. I think you'll like them.

This is largely due to them not being part of the Live Music Archive; I generally don't download bittorrented shows to listen to (as my hard drive at home is pretty full). I've known of them for a while now' date=' and seen Warren Haynes a few times (with Phil Lesh and The Dead), and liked what I heard (even if my attention was more on Jimmy Herring :) ).

October 29, 1995 at Park West, Chicago, IL

Rocking Horse

Eternity's Breath Jam >

St. Stephen Jam

March 10, 1998 at Opera House, Toronto, ON

Pygmy Twylyte > Blind Man in the Dark >

Mother Earth

Thank you!

a la last year's Kool Haus gig

Were you there? Did you see open taping? I've found about 10 Kool Haus shows (e.g., by The New Deal, and The Decemberists) on the Live Music Archive, so I figure I'll be OK getting my rig in, but if there was open taping last year, I know I won't have a problem this year.

Aloha,

Brad

Were you there? Did you see open taping? I've found about 10 Kool Haus shows (e.g., by The New Deal, and The Decemberists) on the Live Music Archive, so I figure I'll be OK getting my rig in, but if there was open taping last year, I know I won't have a problem this year.

Dont assume anything about that venue. Yes, we have taped openly there many times and the Mule is cool with it, so theoretically it should not be a problem. That said, weve gone there and been told that the gear is fine, but the stand cannot come in (for another show). And there's no point in taping without a stand there - too much chatter, bottle clinking, etc. It's one of those messed up security scenes with big beefy guys with more braun than brains and the need to compensate for tiny weewee's. Given the band's history though, Im confident that it will be fine, but fair warning.

Thanks, phishtaper. Would it be useful to contact the venue ahead of time to clear bringing in gear and a stand? (I figure that if I get an e-mail with approval and a name, I can at least point that out to any security personnel if there are hassles.)

Aloha,

Brad

Thanks, phishtaper. Would it be useful to contact the venue ahead of time to clear bringing in gear and a stand? (I figure that if I get an e-mail with approval and a name, I can at least point that out to any security personnel if there are hassles.)

yes, it might help to contact a club manager or maybe the promoter and ask (not demand). i actually did that in the past for another band (The Heads) in another part of the club complex there (there are actually 3 clubs there). the band was cool with taping, but it wasnt well known, and the club had no idea. the club manager told me he just wasnt sure about it so he could not give me permission to bring in full gear, but "what he didnt see, he wouldnt care about. and noone would be searching at the door for recording equipment" ... ie., go stealth, young man. so we did. and after the show, we started chatting with Tina Weymouth and she was so pleased we stealthed it she invited us backstage to hang. was very cool. sorry, i stray. yes, my guess is that since it is very well known that Mule is very pro-taping, the key will be to just have management tell security beforehand that its ok for us to bring stuff in.

Mule's Official Taping Policy says they will have tapers tix (but I dont see any for TO) and tapers section.

Sounds like they are on top of it. :D

Edited by Guest
added policy

OK, I just sent a message to their general e-mail address, their security manager, and the club manager. I also found

http://www.mule.net/legal_policies.html

which claims there'll be a roped-off section for tapers on this tour, and that the first half-hour of door time is for tapers only. I asked if this was the case, and if I'd have any problems bringing in my gear and a mic stand.

Aloha,

Brad

I just heard back from the venue, who said that the show's recording policy was established by the promoter, and that I should contact them. I did, so we'll see how it goes. (I have this deep-seated fear that there's a big crack between what the promoter will say and what [i.e., nothing] will be told to the venue's security people.)

Aloha,

Brad

Hey Brad, thanks for looking into this. I will be there too, and taping. I was at the kool haus last week for Primus and getting full rigs in was no problem at all.. very smooth. Shouldn't be any different for mule I would think. I've taped them 4 or 5 times and never once had a problem, albeit those were all at different venues. In fact, all outdoor shows. I'm looking forward to it in any case!