Jambands.ca

What's happened to the Canadian Jamband Scene?

Ekletcic

What's happened to the Canadian Jamband Scene?

I think we all grew up. See: What's Your Job?

No question that time (and demographics) is a factor here. Things aren't what they were and in some ways the jamband scene is simply a part of an industry currently experiencing tremendous upheaval.

If every "classic rock" station were a "new rock" station, think of the difference it would make to emerging artists.

I don't begrudge groups like the Stones and the Who the opportunity to sell/tour their music, but recently I read a quote by Noel Gallagher who claimed the price these multi-millionaires charge folks for the music was "fuckin' sick". I think he's right. There's only so much to go around.

Was reading an interesting interview http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=80687d5e-d9bf-4c8d-bb12-98d767857307&k=86602 with Danny Michel in the paper this morning. One of the things Danny points out is that the notion of the album (a collection of 10 - 12 songs with accompnying art etc) is currently on the downslide. Today's musc fan is more "singles" oriented. If they hear a song (or two) they like, they will download it and are less concerned about purchasing an entire album. That has major implications for a musical genre that historically has relied on the album experience as opposed to the singles experience.

Right now the traditional methods of bringing music to folks is being rewritten by artists such as Beck and the Barenaked Ladies. There is more music than ever before out there, but its survival rate is much lower. Part of the problem is that many artists have been slow to think outside the proverbial box (or album). Just my $.02

I have heard of Under Byen.. similar to Efterklang and just as lovely. They just irked a deal with Paper Bag Records so they should be touring Canada more often. The Danish scene, and the whole Scandinavian thing in general is great. I'm loving Suburban Kids with Biblical Names as of late, and Jens Lekman.

I think I spoke too soon. I can't really say that jambands don't do it for me, but there are very few amazing Jambands that would wow a huge audience up here.

The inspired players just went elsewhere to get their rocks off.

to bad about the apparent demise of the album. I like mixes but I still prefer to listen to an entire record beginning to end.

Commercial Radio really dropped the ball by not taking a chance on less inoffensive music since the early nineties. Could've still played a huge role in shaping creative music.

sad really how easy it is to point a finger.