Jambands.ca

books on rock stars

Blurry

i'm reading jim morrison's now (no one here gets out alive) and it's quite good.

:)

Agreed. I haven't read that one since the late 80's, I should give it another go.

On the topic of the Doors, another book I read in highschool called "Burn Down The Night" by Craig Kee Strete was pretty entertaining, although fictional. Tells a story of what his life may have been like hanging out with Jim Morrison.

burn.jpg

Its no longer in print and sorta rare to find now-a-days, aside from places like ebay. I wish I had hung onto my copy now.

Wow, lots of great suggestions.....lots to look fwd to. The books on "rock stars" was just a blanket statement. Really anything to do with music, music promotion etc. is good by me. For example, I like Bill Graham's book as much as any I've read.

I've recently read Neil & Me and thought it was great! Enjoyed both The Band books suggested as well. Searching for the sound was a good read too! I read one on Gordon Lightfoot in university that I think I'll try and find again.

I'm going to go through many of these so thanks again for all your suggestions - and keep 'em comin'. I think I'll start with either Woody Guthrie's "Bound for Glory" or "Can't You Hear Me Callin': The Life of Bill Monroe, Father of Bluegrass" by Richard D. Smith.

Big Time Stu-Dog, Big Time!!!

Edited by Guest

I haven't read the Jaco book but I'd like to here more from 'ersh on it. I know Milkowski is getting a lot of attention amongst other jazz writers for this tell-all (responsibly) book. It's one of those fascinating stories where a consummate hanger-around wrote a book ultimately that depicts Jacó's savage drug use. Much like the Mulroney Tapes book there was an accusation of dirty pool, that somethings confided in friendship should never be written about. He is immensely sympathetic to Jaco from what I gather though just not forgiving.

I gotta say that Jimmy McDonough's "Shakey" (re: Neil Young) sets the standard for rock bio for me. If you;re a music fan in general, it's an illuminating look at one of rock's most contrary and fascinating figures. If you're a Neil Young fan, it's absolutely essential.

I am currently reading "Here There and Everywhere" by Geoff Emerick, who was hired in 1962 by EMI - at the age of 17 - to engineer their new act from Liverpool. He stuck with them on and off until the end - and Paul McCartney afterwards. It's a compelling - if even-handed - account of what it meant to be a studio employee in the 1960's and demonstrates the symbiosis between the musicians on the studio floor and the brains behind the scenes in the control room, as modern rock as we know it took shape. Any new persprective on the Beatles is welcomed by me, and this is a on-the-ground account of some of rock's most important moments. Just read his account of the Revolver > Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane > Sgt Peppers sessions to see what I mean.

One for MarcO - Magical Mystery Tours: My Life With the Beatles, by Tony Bramwell, who was a boyhood friend of George, he was underage when the fab four got started, so he carried George's guitar to get in and he went on to be one of Brian Epstein's first employees.

Not too gossipy overall, the major insights being into some of the horrible business deals Epstein made, the not-so-major insights being that they all hated Yoko from the start.

I haven't seen any talk of this book on this site (I know Booche has a copy too), but it got a very favourable review in the Globe & Mail a year and half or so ago.