Jambands.ca

books on rock stars

Blurry

I really think, and often say, that Dream Brother the dual biography of Jeff and his father Tim Buckley is an amazing book. You have to be into Jeff Buckley though.

Not like a biography but Greil Marcus' Old, Weird America (and Mystery Train) are seminal books that pour over the American musical tradition. America, which was called Invisible Republic before reprint, deals loosely with Dylan and the Band's basement tapes era but it's about a lot more.

I once read a really weird biography on Janis Joplin, called Goin' Down With Janis by Peggy Casserta. It was written by a woman who claims to have been Janis' lesbian lover, and the only constant person in Janis' life throughout her career.

I have no idea whether or not the author is delusional, but it was actually a great read.

"Can't You Hear Me Callin': The Life of Bill Monroe, Father of Bluegrass" by Richard D. Smith was an engrossing read that covered everything from his musical influences and influencees to his numerous mistresses to what he had for breakfast as a child. I can't imagine a more thorough or engaging read about a musician.

the best book is Jimi Hendrix: Room full of Mirrors...not sure the name of the author, but its the same guy who wrote cobain's bio

really well done book check it out

also Phil Lesh Search for the Sound is interesting, as is Garcia: Signpost i think its called...its just an interview with Garcia but its really heady

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for lesbians, having found they and I possess many similar predilections. ;)

Mark: Okay, gents, I'd like to be a dyke.

Bruce: Ha ha.

Scott: Who wouldn't?

Mark: Don't be crass! I meant that. I'd like to be buried in the sisterhood of women.

Bruce: Yeah. Lesbians are so great. They get so much done in a day.

Dave: [quiet] Yeah.

Mark: Yeah, yeah. You know why? Because they get it done together. There's no competition. With them, it's "go team" all the way.

Dave: Wow, women together, huh?

Scott: Is that women with a "Y"?

Dave: Oh! Do you have to ask?

I also recommend Dave Bidini's books, "On a Cold Road" and "For Those About to Rock." I enjoyed "Neil and Me" and "Living with the Dead" too.

For a real education, plow through Have Not Been The Same:

Have Not Been The Same captures the spirit of Canadian rock from 1985 to 1995, a time when it became cool to be Canadian. Indie labels flourished, campus radio exploded, MuchMusic changed the way we look at our music, major labels tapped into the underground, and an exciting new generation of artists created a new canon of CanRock that altered the musical landscape for generations to come. Bands like The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, and Sloan created a fever pitch for Canadian music, but there were also numerous others in the underground who created equally exciting work. This vital, lively, and entertaining examination of a groundbreaking decade contains vivid original photographs and interviews with all the major players. It's a must-read for any fan of Canadian music.

yeah Velvet that's a good one fer sher. i didn't list it as it was more of a compendium... but then i guess it's a book about rock stars so it all fits.

lots of great stories in there. biiiiiiiiiiig book.

Alan Cross' book 'Over The Edge' has lots of great stories.

For a real education, plow through Have Not Been The Same: .......It's a must-read for any fan of Canadian music.

Good call, Velvet,

The other for Canadian music would be Before the Gold Rush (Jennings).

Dave Marsh's 2 books on Springsteen (Born to Run & Glory Days) offer no great revelations, but are easy reads.

I 2nd the nods for Shakey and Across the Great Divide and am just starting Bidini's On a Cold Road.

That Wilco one is okay. Craig and I both started reading it, neither one of us actually made it all the way to the end, but I would like to finish it one day. I work is a bookstore, and the Anthony Kiedis biography is very popular and people say they love it, though I haven't read it myself. Cash is probably pretty good too, the movie Walk the Line was mostly based on it. If you go into your local Coles/Chapters/Indigo to browse, you'll have to look in the biography section, the music section, and also maybe behind the counter where they keep the books people like to steal.

Hey DAD ..

this isn't a rock and roll book, but look into it and we'll just pretend its about rock & roll .

(its about cocaine and every rock star loves cocaine right !! ;)

"Dr.Dealer" the story behind "larry lavin"

best book ever Babs I mean Dad!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802137571/ref=cap_pdp_dp_1/102-5831463-0600156

I believe its at the library too .

Edited by Guest

I'll second the recommendation of Greil Marcus' Mystery Train. It remains one of the most influential rock and roll books. If it means anything, Mystery Train is still studied in university music history courses.

book_mystery_train.jpg

Another great read is Tony Fletcher's Keith Moon biography. It's not sensationalistic and it does what good biographies should do; it takes you back to a place and time, examining the social surroundings and introduces fascinating characters.

dear_boy_medium.gif