Jambands.ca

Lips at SARS Rocks etc....

kung

I've been variously glued to Much More Music and Newsworld to get what clips I can of the shows as it goes down. The Flaming Lips just killed it. They're lyrics (to Do You Realize?? I believe) seemed so pointed and took on a new light in the proceedings. When Wayne Coyne tossed a surgical mask you knew something special was happening, and with hottie Kathleen Edwards prancing around like a bunny it doesn't get much better. Timberlake's band even busted an Inspector Gadget intro which was also pretty classy imo.

Guest Low Roller

I just can't get into the Flaming Lips. They got a great stage show with a bunch of bunnies and bears with fish heads, but I just don't find their music at all appealing. Am I retarded?

Guest Low Roller

I don't know how many more chances I can give the Flaming Lips. I've listened to snippets here and there, and they never managed to grab my attention. I have a pretty high threshold for bizarre music, yet they do NOTHING for me.

Moe Down will be their final chance before I make the official declaration of suck.

Thomas Hume said 'you can debate truth but you can't debate taste'. That said you can discriminate between good and bad taste. I used to dismiss indy college rock pop bands out of hand like the Rheostatics, Guided By Voices, Flaming Lips, They Might Be Giants. Now many of these bands are all I listen to. I think it's the integrity and strength of the entire song composition, that's what makes the Rheos, Voices, Lips, Broken Social Scene. People at Hillside were leaving during the BSS set, people I know for christ sake, while my girlfriend and I were and are convinced it was an epochal moment in Canadian and indeed international music history. Bands like these are truly world class and the proof is in the fact that all of the bands we idolize whether it's Phish or moe. or Slip whoever they wish they could write songs hell they wish they could be these motherfuckers. Wayne Coyne is the man.

Just threw on Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots on the ol' RealPlayer and here's what came up:

quote:

A thrashy college radio act in 1985, the Lips have evolved into one of the most inventive, musically profound bands going.

nuff said

I was not able to make it to Hillside, but I have been interested to see BSS. The cd is amazing - yet I have heard that they are not a very compelling band live.

comments Kung?

In terms of The Lips - these guys are definately cool and kinda wacky, however, i don't think I will be rushing out to see them....who knows, that could change.

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

I just can't get into the Flaming Lips.

I'm convinced that the reason LR can't get into the Lips is because I said, "Hey Roller, I just heard a new band that you're gonna love - The Flaming Lips!"

That being said, I'm still undecided. I like YBTPR but haven't cared for any of the live stuff I've listened to.

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by dave-O:

I'm convinced that the reason LR can't get into the Lips is because I said, "Hey Roller, I just heard a new band that you're gonna
love
- The Flaming Lips!"

Yup, that's exactly why.

[Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes]

Here's the answer to the BSS live question roundaboutly. Some of you know that my girlfriend has as forceful an opinion about music as I do- plus we come from very different sets of circumstance. She's the Halifax pop exploder and knows all the GBV, FL, college shit by heart, has been listening to it for ages. She also likes the jam scene but is as skeptical or likely more than I am. So when we agree on something like the fact that Broken Social Scene blew up a moment in music history at Hillside we feel confident it actually happened, then friends of ours ditch on the performance and you have to question whose the tool? They are. The show they put on was not only a magnificent reflection of the (perfect) album it was the sound of histories colliding. I just read a review in Exclaim! of their two night run in Toronto and they said exactly the same thing. The other huge highlight of Hillside was the band Metric!!!!!! James Shaw and Emily Haines from this band fill out the BSS line-up and Emily sang the original vocals to Anthems for a Seventeen Yr. Old Girl for the encore (plus she's so hot and the legs oh the legs). What makes these shows so compelling to me, what makes them strike right to the emotional core, is in part that they are Canadian, but it's the feeling of knowing that history is taking place.

I have to agree with Kung on this one... the BSS show that I saw at Lee's a little while ago blew me away, charged and energized me and made them a must see on my list for the next time they are in or near this city.

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

Wayne Coyne is the man.

Agreed.

I think the Flaming Lips are great, although I can't comment on the SARS-stock performance, since I haven't seen it. They do have a great stage show, though.

And for weird, check out their album "Zaireeka" (sp?) - a four-CD set that's meant to be played simultaneously on four different systems. I guess you'd have to synch them all together somehow...

Archived