Jambands.ca

NB tops happiness poll, NS ranks last

dave-O

Happiness poll finds bliss in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia ranks dead last on nationwide survey on satisfaction

Funny stuff here. NB, Newfoundland and PEI rank 1,2,3 while Nova Scotia finishes 10th out of 10.

New Brunswick's general contentment is a paradox, he says, because the province has one of the worst-performing economies in the country and one of the lowest proportions of people earning very high incomes.

The province also has a high proportion of people who find it difficult to accept life and who worry about the future.

Despite all that, New Brunswickers are relentlessly optimistic, and the survey concludes the results have everything to do with the upbeat personalities of people who live here.

Coté says it also may have something to do with low expectations. "Money doesn't always equal happiness."

New Brunswick's general contentment is a paradox, he says, because the province has one of the worst-performing economies in the country and one of the lowest proportions of people earning very high incomes.

It's funny how the article expresses surprise that the folks are happy and yet the economy isn't the best. I guess it's true most of the time but it's nice to see somewhere where money isn't the be-all and end-all.

reminds me of watching a show about a remote central african tribe with hardly any modern conveniences or contact with the "modern" world and being moved by how ridiculously happy they all seem, and then my sisters kids groaning "oh my god, those poor people. they don't even have tv."

UMA GUMA GUMA DUMA!

Loc: ottawa

Reg: 05/30/05

11/30/06 06:20 PM - Post#390079

In response to FreekerByTheSpeaker

no, they don't. that's why they're happy

thats funny as we are taxed to the gills and our new premier said he was to keep gas prices down hah it was at 88.9 today 94.9, ,we are in a place that they build new highways and 10 years later they put up the signs

i,m moving to fredericton

imagine i will have to after court on the 11th heh know of any good rotten lawyers that can,t be bought off. as mine retired as i was told by the city manager shi= face huh

It's funny how the article expresses surprise that the folks are happy and yet the economy isn't the best. I guess it's true most of the time but it's nice to see somewhere where money isn't the be-all and end-all.

they are not very happy at all

most are losing their homes, work wages are shitt=

pulp mill is going to shut down again

but then they live at fast food joints and play video games ,the ones that make high wages are stealing from the tax payers anyway

oops ,a judge and ceo and a few others in jail for stealing big bucks, kind of hard to swallow

People there are generally pleasant because they're all on drugs!!

Okay that statement is only partially true, But as a born and raised NB-er, I know that a lot of people hit up the rock instead of dwelling on their low income lives. People are generally pretty welcoming there though, which is good to have. I think the people that are there and are happy are the ones who haven't really left and explored the world. They fall into routine and standard and live they're "what's expected lives" Some are happy, some think their happy, some are miserable. Me personally couldn't stand the routine and got my ass out of there early on. Best decision I have made I think. Even visitng there, its just like I never left. Everyone is doing the saaaaame thing.

There are some really beautiful places though, and nothing will beat the atlantic beaches.

Anywho, just my two cents.

Cheers

Steph

I can't imagine growing up in a place like miramichi or bathurst even. I'm from Moncton and I find that small enough. A little more bullshit in the metropolis I think, but you can always find someone's place to put your feet up in, even if you don't know the person that well. From my experience living here in Ottawa, people are way more reserved, and kind of take time getting to know before they really welcome you. Even the people in the west are more welcoming. It's definitely a coastal thing.

I can't imagine growing up in a place like miramichi

well it is this way if you were born here got married very young had children, made sure they didn,t stay after graduation. give them all the help you can and talk to them to go away to see the world , then you own your home and ,friends and still think it,s the only place to live , kind of like newfies afraid to leave,

as you age beautiful you say oh i will meet a nice honest man and stay well i learned no such thing, so you live your life ,do what you want to hel= with the man part and move if you want as not a thing holds you back but yourself

really more expensive to live some where else, now that is another thing or is it?

every day i am moving and don,t do a thing about changing my life as i love excitement and music so it is entirely up to me to pick up my as= and get going huh and fast