Jambands.ca

A Sad Anniversary. December 6, 1989

phishtaper

stephen fearing wrote a tune called "bells of morning" (mourning?) that's on his blue line LP. my first introduction to sf was on the cbc. they interviewed him about the album, then played that song. it made me cry. still does sometimes. the whole mess makes me sad...14 women snuffed out in the prime of life by a guy with an axe to grind....

There was a good piece this morning on CBC with someone who'd written a one-character play from the perspective of Lepine. Long story short, it was pretty powerful stuff, and had been well received (even among family of those who'd been killed), but he made the point a couple of times that he couldn't put his finger on what ultimately made him snap, despite all the pretty exhaustive research he'd done on him.

I'm still appalled in my classes by the number of students, women and men alike, who treat "feminism" as if it were a curse word. I'd like to hope the depth of thinking around it all would have evolved somewhat.

thanks, guys, for this recognition......

those of us 'in the movement', either as volunteers or workers with agencies aiming to end violence against women sure do appreciate the recognition & support.

I organized the Dec 6th event at my school yesterday...along with the white ribbon campaign we had many agencies come to share info with the students....the focus being on 'dating violence' and recognizing (and leaving) potentially abusive boyfriends. I can't believe what a HUGE issue this is among teens, btw....there's been such a de-valuing of young women, seen as bithces and ho's...appallingly common language in the hallways at my school.

anyway....my message is really about THIS: Harper has cut a huge amount of funding to the Status of Women department. There's already an angry, pissed-off backlash fomenting and I ask that you add your voice to the outrage!!!! There will soon be a website launched to educate people about what will be lost by these cuts, and an on-line petition, I believe. I shall post it when avaliable.

~peace~

thanks, guys, for this recognition......

funny, that. i hadnt noticed.

i posted the memorial yesterday after I wandered out to see if the flags were lowered at the university i work at. and yes, they were. the whole thing was, and still is, pretty powerful. and when i see so many young women here with engineering jackets on or just wandering around campus, i take comfort knowing that the Montreal 14 did not die in vain.

thanks for your hard work and dedication, Jane.