Jambands.ca

Phish at the top of thier game

The Chameleon

hilarious coincidence- I've listened to this show 2 or 3 times the last week - it's the only music on my mp3 player right now(broke the usb cord)and i've been on a soldering binge with this show as my mind-numbing companion. Makes me super nostalgic as it was my 5th or 6th show and when they broke into Roses are Free I'm pretty sure I screamed myself hoarse.

Anyways, the Drowned is a real treat, and not really being a BBFCFM fan, this one is pretty good.

i enjoyed rochester 99 a lot.

without checking the setlist, if i remember correctly, they played a great mikes groove, a nice frankenstein, a funky moma dance, and some more good stuff.

all good though.

http://www.phish.net/setlists/1999.html#12-05-99

lists

12-05-99 BlueCross Arena, Rochester, NY

1: Carini, Gotta Jiboo, Get Back on the Train, Taste, Bug, Sparkle, Tube*, Lawn Boy, Ginseng Sullivan, Twist** (1:14)

2: Mike's Song -> Meatstick -> I Am Hydrogen -> Weekapaug Groove, Brian and Robert, Jennifer Dances#, Maze, Fluffhead, Chalkdust Torture, Frankenstein* (1:36)

E: Character Zero, Hello My Baby (0:11)

*With Trey on keys. **New arrangement; missing "and substituting every sound" lyric. #New original.

I don't see "Moma Dance" in there.

Aloha,

Brad

I had a great time during that Fall '97 run. I think 12-11-97 was the first time I did an audience recording of phish (with my un-trusty Marantz 430 cassette recorder!).

The 12-13-97 show in Albany remains another of my all-time faves. Huge party scene there!

thanks brad....as i said, was only going from memory.

i do remember, now that look at the setlist, that the tube was my first, and i really enjoyed it.

i also remember the fluff being my first, and really not enjoying it.

then i remember really enjoying the character zero and chalkdust torture.....even though they are standards.....

i think teh small arena vibe was my favorite. its the smallest venue i've seen phish at....and i was front row for the first and last time of my phish going shows.

We may have been sitting beside eachother. We were front row for this one too!

Cool...must've been a pretty Canadian front row...we were also sitting beside two friends of ours that had mail ordered seperately (we didn't know we were sitting beside them until we saw them at the Windsor Tim Hortons a few hours before the show). We were on Pages side holding a Canadian flag with the phish logo instead of the maple leaf that my buddy made...there's a picture kicking around of the four of us holding it that the security guard (!!) took for us...

talk about a buzzkill for the encore!

why does every encore have to be a blow the roof off the venue-rocker song all the time? personally, I love Waste and was always happy to hear them play it. it made me feel like it meant something to be in a room with several thousand other people, all being completely unproductive, but having a good time just sharing the experience with others.

also, remember that this was the first of a 3-night mini-run in Upstate New York (the next two nights in Albany) and obviously the band knew that a lot of people in the audience that night would be attending all three nights, so this was a nice way for them to say "Hey people, let's take a breather and get ready for another couple of blow-out nights". these were great shows!

listening to the tapes afterwards is not always the same experience as being at the show, and context is sometimes lost. in fact, in '95, they actually opened shows with Tweezer Reprise a couple of times, calling back an unreprised Tweezer they had played a night or two before. at that time, setlists werent necessarily created to be autonomous units.