Jambands.ca

Blind Boys of Alabama & World Vision

Kanada Kev

http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/releases/show.jsp?action=showRelease&searchText=false&showText=all&actionFor=632071

Blind Boys of Alabama Announce Canadian Dates for Winter Tour and Partnership with World Vision

MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - Jan. 23, 2007) -

ATTENTION ENTERTAINMENT/MUSIC EDITORS

The Blind Boys of Alabama, winners of an impressive four Grammy Awards in the past five years, are partnering with World Vision during the Canadian leg of their winter 2007 tour that includes seven Ontario dates, including a concert at Toronto's Massey Hall.

"It's our hope that some of our fans will be inspired to help kids get the care and fair shake at life they deserve," says Blind Boys vocalist Jimmy Carter.

World Vision has worked for more than 50 years to help children and their communities reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty. Today, HIV is threatening many of the achievements. In response, World Vision has made HIV and AIDS prevention, care and advocacy a top priority in the countries where it works.

"We're thrilled that the Blind Boys of Alabama have partnered with us," says Mike Bowman, manager of World Vision's Artist Associates program. "Concertgoers will enjoy an unforgettable performance and have the opportunity to help children and their families in developing countries by sponsoring a child through World Vision at the event."

The Blind Boys have been keeping the spirit and energy of pure soul gospel music alive since 1939, when the group formed at the Alabama Institute for the Negro Blind. The group performed on last year's Grammy telecast and was inducted into the Gospel Hall of Fame. They have been featured with Beyonce and Cuba Gooding Jr. in The Fighting Temptations movie, and recorded with Ben Harper, Peter Gabriel, Lou Reed, Randy Travis, Jars of Clay, and Susan Tedeschi.

Mojo and Rolling Stone magazines have called Atom Bomb (Real World Records) the Blind Boys' "best" and "most adventurous" album yet respectively. Parade magazine said, "The Blind Boys of Alabama have never been hipper..." and The New Yorker raves, "...soul-stirring...gut wrenching." Entertainment Weekly gives Atom Bomb an "A" and remarks, "Atom Bomb comprises the sort of rousingly God-centric songs that even heathens can bow down to..."

The Blind Boys will head to Canada to kick off their tour and will also perform in the U.S. during the next few months. They will perform selections from their latest release, Atom Bomb as well as uplifting gospel favorites on their Winter/Spring tour.

Upcoming Canadian dates:

January

23 Brampton, Ont. Brampton Performing Arts Centre

24 St. Catharines, Ont. Centre For The Arts

26 Markham, Ont. Markham Theatre For The Performing Arts

27 Oakville, Ont. Oakville Centre For The Performing Arts

April

10 Belleville, Ont. The Empire Theatre

12 Ottawa, Ont. Dominion Chalmers Church

14 Toronto, Ont. Massey Hall

That's actually really cool. These are the sort of fundraising events I can see myself running in ten years or so. World Vision has a real christian bent so I can see why the Blind Boys got onboard. I used to do their planned famine to fundraise I think in junior high.

Other notable bands that do the World Vision thang...

Fred Eaglesmith, Bob Egan and Kae Sun.

When I saw Daniel Lanois last year in Hamilton (i can't remember the name of that little theatre .. nice one too!) I'm pretty sure they had a World Vision setup too.

World Vision may have a Christian element to it, but in no way is it preachy or evangelical. They do provide education, medicine, water, and food sources that the people can sustain ... not bibles and sermons. Trust me, I wouldn't bother donating to it if it was anything like Benny Hinn or Pat Robertson! :P

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)