Jambands.ca

Things people do that piss you off

Davey Boy 2.0

Jaimoe:

I would be very surprised if the CRA "understands" that your wife doesn't declare her tips. Generally, people declare about 10%, but it has long been on the agenda of the CRA to one day go after these people for the 90% that amounts to tax fraud. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, and the CRA has told your wife not to worry about it.)

I would also be very surprised if she is employed in some way that allows her employer to fire her without notice or reason. I believe that would violate the Employment Standards Act, and is actionable.

I am not saying any of this to challenge you or demean your comments. If I am wrong, please feel free to explain why, but I think I am right.

Wouldn't almost every server/bartender in North America get audited? I believe she does declare some of her tips now that I think of it, but not all (obviously).

I've seen Vicki's boss fire employees for no good reason - sometimes because they aren't pretty enough. If her boss wants to fire someone, she will and creates reasons. You can get the employment standards, but you could also get black-balled but more often than not, the severs don't know their rights and the bosses know it.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North America has three countries. I cannot speak to what the US or Mexico would do, but that is exactly why Canada has not done this yet. It would be a clerical nightmare, but it has always been a plan for the future, if they can make such audits happen, as they know there is lots of money out there that is not being duly remitted.

Creating a reason to fire someone is not the same as firing someone for no reason.

Restaurant backs off, staff keep 20¢ raise

"A popular Toronto restaurant has backed down after trying to claw back most of the extra 20 cents an hour it has to pay its minimum-wage waiters.

Joe Badali's, on Front St. at University Ave., told servers it would start charging them $2 a shift to cover the costs of washing their aprons and providing notepads and cash envelopes." ...

some more fuel for the fire :/

This calls for government regulation. Or maybe better government regulation.

Factor in the exchange rate and it's pretty accurate. I can say that beers cafes in France are pretty expensive compared to here.

2 pounds equals about 5 bucks. Like I said' date=' I believe those prices in downtown London but let's not muddy the waters.

[/quote']

Ok, but my friend was recently in Scotland and Dublin and he said the prices are pretty damned expensive.

Factor in the exchange rate and it's pretty accurate. I can say that beers cafes in France are pretty expensive compared to here.

2 pounds equals about 5 bucks. Like I said' date=' I believe those prices in downtown London but let's not muddy the waters.

[/quote']

Ok, but my friend was recently in Scotland and Dublin and he said the prices are pretty damned expensive.

Any Brits in the house care to settle this?

Hmm, I guess that depends where you go. My brother lives in Scotland & was surprised in october when he came to visit how much beer was here compared to where he is in the north. Even taking the exchange into consideration.

Crazy with the whole euro thing now, when I was in France in '97 before that all came into effect, things were sorta cheap given the exchange, 25 cents CND was about one franc.

In my experiences in the UK (a few trips to Wales, England, and Scotland, in 1995-1999), the food was more expensive (the numbers on menus matched menus over here, but in pounds, so the prices were effectively double), but the beer was about the same (about two pounds a pint, equivalent to about four or five dollars).

Aloha,

Brad

from a brit co-worker (this board can waste even the time of non-members!)

i'm a bit rusty on this, but depending upon which pub you drink in in the UK, a pint can range from GBP1.50 to 2.50. I'd say it's probably less expensive (in general) in the UK

of course no-one can offer authoritative proof on any of this as prices vary widely no matter where you go, right?

from a brit co-worker (this board can waste even the time of non-members!)
i'm a bit rusty on this, but depending upon which pub you drink in in the UK, a pint can range from GBP1.50 to 2.50. I'd say it's probably less expensive (in general) in the UK

Thanks. I'm booking a flight as we speak.

My friend lives in Scotland (he's from London) and he contributed to the UK expensive pint thoughts in my head. I guess it all depends on where you go.

i went to the beer store at lunch today (yes!)... there were three thugs (you know the type, with their pants tucked in their socks, clown-like) eating chicken wings out of a box and dropping their bones and napkins on the sidewalk. what a bunch of low-lifes!! i wanted to tell them off, but did not want a confrontation with three loser thugs. i dont know if i should feel better or worse imagining the shitty home life these kids come from... for the time being i felt better, picturing them sleeping on a pile of chicken bones.. after all, they had to learn some place!?!

turns out, dropping chicken bones on a public sidewalk (nonetheless, out front of my favourite retailer) pisses me off.

i went to the beer store at lunch today (yes!)... there were three thugs (you know the type, with their pants tucked in their socks, clown-like) eating chicken wings out of a box and dropping their bones and napkins on the sidewalk. what a bunch of low-lifes!! i wanted to tell them off, but did not want a confrontation with three loser thugs. i dont know if i should feel better or worse imagining the shitty home life these kids come from... for the time being i felt better, picturing them sleeping on a pile of chicken bones.. after all, they had to learn some place!?!

Did you drop acid before you went to the beer store?

they're out to get me today.

i arrived home to find a strange car parked in front of my house. it was parked 'curbside' across the front of my driveway, blocking the entrance. after checking with the neighbours i like (negatory), i called by-law... they came and wrote him a $50 ticket. they'll only tow it if he's blocking me in, not out.

this is like therapy. thanks.