2. Ween - Birthday Boy

3. Traditional - Happy Birthday

4. The Beatles - Birthday

5. Destiny's Child - Birthday

6. Cracker - Happy Birthday To Me

7. The Slip - Children of December

8. The Smiths - Unhappy Birthday

9. Tool - Parabol

10. Billy Bragg & Wilco - I Was Born (f. Natalie Merchant)

Incindently Hal, the 4th of July is Independence Day in the states not a birthday

I knew some dingleberry would try to correct me, shoulda figured it'd be you.....

On July 4, 1776, we claimed our independence from Britain and Democracy was born. Every day thousands leave their homeland to come to the "land of the free and the home of the brave" so they can begin their American Dream.

http://usacitylink.com/usa/

if you asked people what the birthday of the US is, most would say the 4th of July.

if ya wanna get all technical, all of us only have one birthdate, and all of these songs are incorrect (except mine, of course ;) ) because they denote the anniversary of a day, not the day itself.

i spend too much time here ...

331: Songs About Birthdays

1. Soundgarden - 4th of July

2. Ween - Birthday Boy

9. Tool - Parabol

11. Grateful Dead - Mississippi Halfstep

331: Songs About Birthdays

1. Soundgarden - 4th of July

2. Ween - Birthday Boy

9. Tool - Parabol

11. Grateful Dead - Mississippi Halfstep

12. Gov't Mule - Birth of the Mule

Next theme is up for grabs, given that my last one almost proved to be a thread-killer. ;)

332: Songs The Black Crowes have covered

1. The Rolling Stones - Torn and Frayed

2. The Grateful Dead - Brokedown Palace

3. Otis Redding - Hard to Handle

4. The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

5. Earl Randle - Somebody's On Your Case

6. Bob Marley - Kinky Reggae

7. Bob Marley - Time Will Tell (The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion)

Excuse my ignorance here (its sunday mornin...) but I'm always finding myself confused by one thing; "officially released" as per the few rules of the game - so are the songs covered required to have been released by The Black Crowes or just released period?

The way I understood it is that it's songs that have been covered, not neccesarily those actual performances by the Crowes.

For example, The Grateful Dead's Brokedown Palace has been covered by the Crowes. It was officially released on American Beauty.

Does that make sense?

since the hypothetical CD we're compiling is "Songs The Black Crowes have covered", I'd say the songs in question simply have to have been released by the original artist. So, you'd get the original versions of these songs on the CD, not the BC versions.

Ok - was just wondering (not only about this topic), since just about any song anyone on this board will ever pick has more then likely been officially released by someone or some band at some point. Doesn't that mean there shouldn't have been (or be) any disputes about songs posted on previous topics or upcoming topics. 028ws9.gif

I'm thinking it applies to something like , say, Dave's Energy Guide by Phish, which AFAIK does not appear on any official release by anyone ever. Or also Freeway Jam by Gov't Mule, which again AFAIK has never been officially released by Gov't Mule, if posted it would have to be posted as by Jeff Beck Group.

Or also Freeway Jam by Gov't Mule, which again AFAIK has never been officially released by Gov't Mule, if posted it would have to be posted as by Jeff Beck Group.

I think Blow By Blow (the album on which "Freeway Jam" was originally issued) is a "Jeff Beck" album, not a "Jeff Beck Group" album; JBG was used for albums like Rough and Ready and (go figure) Jeff Beck Group.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest