Jambands.ca

Levon Helm Sues

AD

Some fiery words from Helm below...

The Band's Helm sues over TV ad

WOODSTOCK, N.Y. (AP) - Levon Helm, former drummer for The Band, is suing a Manhattan advertising firm over the use of the band's signature song, "The Weight," in a television commercial.

In a lawsuit filed in state Supreme Court in December, Helm asks for information about BBDO Worldwide's profits from the commercial for Cingular cell phone service and for financial compensation for the use of his performance.

Helm's attorney, Michael Pinsky, said state law prohibits the use of a celebrity's voice or likeness for profit without his prior written permission. The lawyer said Helm received a royalty payment from the use of the "The Weight" in the commercial but does not feel he has been adequately compensated.

According to an annual royalty statement from EMI Records, which owns Capitol Records, The Band's record label, Helm took home one-fifth of half of the licensing fee that BBDO paid to Capitol for the right to use the song, Pinsky said.

A BBDO spokesman declined comment.

"It was just a complete, damn sellout of The Band - its reputation, its music; just as much disrespect as you could pour on Richard and Rick's tombstones," Helm, a longtime Woodstock resident said.

Richard Manuel, vocalist and piano player for The Band, died in 1986. Rick Danko, who played bass, died in 1999. The Band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994.

one-fifth of half of the licensing fee

say the fee was $50,000... Levon was only paid 1/5 of half.. that would be only $5,000...

Sure, but "let's say" the fee was $1,000,000... that would mean Levon was paid $100,000.

Point being, your post is pretty misleading because the fee could have been anything.

Levon has always gotten the raw end of the deal with the band.

Especially when Robbie Robertson fucked him out off all the publishing and writing credits.....

I feel for him..,

that's always been my impression of the whole thing, and i had a wtf? moment when i heard the commercial in question.

levon has been struggling considerabluy in the last several years...throat cancer (which he beat), imminent foreclosure of his place in woodstock, but he's surviving.

*cough* tour!!!!!!! *cough*

throat cancer

nice juxtaposition, hehe :)

really though, how is a broke guy recovering from throat cancer going to mount a tour where people would expect him to sing?

is he still doing the jamborees at his place in woodstock? i heard a rumour that he upped the price to $200 / head.

I made a promise to hit up one of his BBQs the next time it happens but it is ALWAYS ALWAYS sold out whenever I try to get tickets. I'd happily pay $200 a head for a ticket vs. paying the same to sit in the nosebleeds at a police concert, especially knowing a larger majority of the cash will get straight to Levon. Especially because Levon actually needs it.

throat cancer

nice juxtaposition' date=' hehe :)

really though, how is a broke guy recovering from throat cancer going to mount a tour where people would expect him to sing?

is he still doing the jamborees at his place in woodstock? i heard a rumour that he upped the price to $200 / head.

[/quote']

:blush:

i completely missed the juxtaposition, AD. nice spotting.

fwiw, levon has not only beat throat cancer, but is singing a lot and well, and has a rotating cast of musicians in his orbit that also sing.

if he is asking $200 a head for shows at his barn and getting it, then he has seed $ for a tour. maybe at this point he doesn't need to tour.