Jambands.ca

BB King show last nite

mikey d

what a fuckin awesome time! BB's set kicked ass, hes such a great performer and musician. Jeff Beck was great, as was his drummer, who I'm almost positive was terry bozio, but he realy could have done without the shitty keyboardist. It was quite funny when he'd hit the synth stabs and their was a general laughter from the audience. Unfortunately, I missed mofros set which i realy wanted to see, but Galactic were rockin. I was mildly dissapointed with them, I felt it was a bit empty, but that could have just been the sound. Their final jam kicked ass!

It was a great nite, and besides having my pants shit on by one of the tousands of seagulls that would suddenyl apear overhead, it was an awesome nite with awesome tunes!

well his playing wasn't 'shitty' as he had alot of talent, but he was incredibly untasteful with both his horrible selection of sounds off of his keyboard and his ridulously wanky solos. he also covered all the bass parts, which i wasnt impressed by all he just stuck to standard, boring lines. so i take back my shitty comment, but i realy did not enjoy his playing.

not really dude the last few days ive been going thru a BIG crisis in my little world. cant sleep, cant eat,,, can drink like a fucking fish and not be too shwilly

yeah i was kinda drunk last night,, thanks to steve murphy and his friends i wasnt stranded in toronto.

jeff beck sure can wank, the keyboard player looked like bobby weir but the synth noises were brutal man.

galactic fucking funked it right out,, super good,, even teh first band,, we were in teh front of the 300s for mofro,, they were really good,, really southern.

not a bad show

nice to meet passed out guy and mule momma,,,, and jaimoe at the aftershow

thanks for the disc deisel doug

Yes! What was with those sounds on the keys. Sounded like Merle or something, great playing on a fucking casio.

and as a bass player I am always disappointed when the part is played by some keyboardist or 8-string guitarist. It smacks of stinginess.

I also enjoyed Galactic more at other shows. I think they are a club venue and not really designed for the outdoor, large venue.

BTW - does anyone know if that was a new drummer for them. I remembered a big, bald guy. But that might have been Les's drummer from the Frog Brigade (they played together when I saw them).

BB King was cool, but I always get bored with straight-ahead stuff. I would much rather hear Garcia/Grisman do the Thrill is Gone. I have become what I hate the most, a contempory music snob.

quote:

Originally posted by phish stick:

Jeff Beck was great, as was his drummer, who I'm almost positive was terry bozio, but he realy could have done without the shitty keyboardist. It was quite funny when he'd hit the synth stabs and their was a general laughter from the audience.

Arrgggghhhhh!!! You know who that keyboard player was? It was Tony Hymas!!!!

http://www.tonyhymas.com/news.htm

Tony Hymas and Jeff Beck worked together on some of Beck's best work (e.g., the "Wired" album, not to mention the "Guitar Shop" album and tour, back in '89, when Beck/Bozzio/Hymas played the Skydome in Toronto, with Jeff Healey and SRV). I don't know if/how his playing was "shitty" (and I'm not saying it wasn't; if that was your impression of his work, I won't argue with you), but I wish the B/B/H trio would come to Ottawa...

Aloha,

Brad

mofro was p[retty damn good, galactic was better, beck was decent,,, i got to front row for the last half of becks set,, BBs set was fucking awesome, rock ne baby and thrill is gone were sweet,,, then off to the DD show at rancho relaxo, HOTTEST BAR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! music was good,,, finally got a ride back to hamilton with murphy and rachel and nicole

thanks alot guys

i did not make it untill jeff beck. I thouht he sucked!!! his drummer couldn't keep time, it was the worst druming i'd erver seen. i thought that a legend like jeff beck would be alot tighter. B.B. King well theres not much you can say, he is 77 years old and can still put on a better show then Jeff Beck.

e

My two cents worth:

I missed Mofro. Maybe next time.

Galactic was inconsistent... as usual. I've seen them 3 times and they have been inconsistent each time. This time Houseman's set brought the house down, in a boring and a musically predictable way. Also, guitarist Jeff Raines was one again under-used. He had one brief slide-solo at the end of their set and that was it. As a guitarist, and more importantly as a guy who loves the instrumental give-and-take groove that jambands like Galactic provide, I demand more creativity from the guitarist. Overall, Galactic was " on " musically Tuesday night, but their song selections and pacing was not.

Jeff Beck killed. He proved to me once again why he is considered one of the great rock guitar innovators. Some may accuse him of wanking, but I disagree. He doesn't waste notes. He's not a shredder. At age 59, Beck doesn't mimic his legacy, he re-invents it. Clapton could learn something from his former foil.

Terry Bozzio was in fine form. His playing drives Beck to explore new heights, the same way Bozzio did with Frank Zappa. I thought some of Bozzio's drums were down in the mix, but he did have around 50 of them to choose from. Some jamheads may not like or " get " Beck, but I don't care. He does his own thing and will not conform musically. I you like his last 3 progressive-rock albums, and I do very much, then you should have liked Jeff Beck as much as I did, which is very much indeed. I was honored to be in attendence.

This was my second time seeing Lucille and B.B. live. He didn't disappoint. B.B. played some new songs that went over well. He really hit his stride when he played " Rock Me Baby " and one of his mid-60s hits, " How Blue Can You Get? ". As they did with Beck, the crowd ate-up B.B.'s set.

Like Jeff Beck, B.B.'s relevant today because he's still writing and producing solid albums and touring consistently; and putting on great shows too. I'll remember Tuesday's concert for a long time to come.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

I you like his last 3 progressive-rock albums, and I do very much, then you should have liked Jeff Beck as much as I did, which is very much indeed. I was honored to be in attendence.

Which three do you mean? He has a new one, "Jeff", IIRC (which I don't have yet [Mad] ), which comes on the heels of "You Had It Coming" and "Who Else?", all of which go more into jungle/electronica territory at times.

The only other three(some) of his that I can think of that would qualify as "progressive" would be the "Blow By Blow" / "Wired" / "There And Back" albums (all of which I love; "Blow By Blow" is my all-time favourite record, bar none).

Aloha,

Brad

Archived