Jambands.ca

Jak's Kitchen (formerly Stoneface Dolly's) on Bronson...

Hux

I had a $16 dinner there that was so bad I had to walk away. So it's the same menu, but it sure aint the same cook. Meanwhile the food at the real Stoneface, on Preston, just keeps getting better and better.

more details. what exactly did you have and why was it so bad?

Hey, the meal I had was an African peanut "sauce" over tofu with roasted veggies on the side. The sauce was not a sauce, more like dried peanut butter. The tofu was of the plain white block variety, lightly steamed. It just totally sucked. The veggies were fine but you know, for $16 ...

Anyway, the service was good. I'll try them once more for breakfast because they are the closest restaurant to my house, but I hope it is better. Seriously though, they should come up with their own menu. I love that menu but the fact is that the people who created it are still in business doing it much better, not that far away.

only been there once and i had a terrible red curry dish at lunch. also could not eat it. my friend also took about 2 bites of his pasta but didn't admit that it was bad, since i was taking him to lunch, he insisted he just wasn't hungry. i don't know if that was the case or not.

I had their "jambalaya" which for such a dead-easy dish was trivial. Katie had their pasta special and someone had their coconut curry and we all decided that while well-intentioned, the execution was really really questionable. Surprising given the fine job they do on breakfast.

I was there for a lunch and the sandwich special was a catfish sandwich and the tartar sauce that came with it had split, either because it was old or poorly made. So yeah just in case you thought I was making any of this up.

For the record, once again, Jak's Kitchen is not Stoneface Dolly's. Bob sold the place to the people who own Kinky in the market, I believe. The cooks they have just don't seem that good.

Stoneface Dolly's, on the other hand, continues to make great food. Now that Bob's son Jeff is back in town the food at Stoneface has really improved again.

Jak's Kitchen may just be going through growing pains, but for now the veggie food, at least, needs improving. Go to Stoneface Dolly's on Preston and you will be glad you did.