Jambands.ca

Mike Sasso and Dave Lauzon tonight!

Pablo Sanchez

Hey,

I'm joining Mike for his weekly show at Humphreys (683 Bank St.) tonight. I'm not exactly sure what we'll be doing but it will be improv based, it will have some live looping and it will certainly be un rehearsed! :)

Mike is a killer player and I'm excited to make some music with him. The show will be from 9:30-12:30

cheers,

Dave

tastey prospect dave

Totally tasty. I had seen a listing for this (weekly) gig by Mike before, but it was given as "An evening of jazz/funk grooves hosted by Mike Sasso," which I had always figured was Mike spinning old jazz/funk records at a bar to make some pocket money.

I was wrong.

Mike's been doing largely improvised guitar/keyboard/vocal stuff at this gig, sometimes with Steve of The John Henrys on keys (when they break out stuff like "Freedom Jazz Dance" and Chick Corea's "Spain"). Last night, with Dave along for the ride, the two of them got seriously deep/funky and trancy at times, elegant and stately at others (e.g., Daniel Lanois' "The Maker"), and flat-out weird, too (esp. when Dave sampled Mike's vocals, looped it, and controlled it via a Kaoss pad).

I'm hoping that Mike and Dave do more gigs together; in particular, I'd love to see them open for JSB @ Mavericks in August.

Aloha,

Brad

Unbelievably poor service, but that just saved me money on beer.

On the top of a shelf unit down the entrance end of the long part of the bar, they actually had a copy of

51bNARmA9tL._AA240_.jpg

situated, in an obvious attempt to get it noticed.

Aloha,

Brad

where's the heady tapes?

I recorded it, but it hasn't been decided if/how it'll get out. It wasn't a Lauzon show, so really shouldn't be uploaded to the Live Music Archive under his name, and Mike Sasso hasn't (yet) joined the archive. The plan is for me to get a copy to Mike & Dave, after which we'll see what they think is appropriate.

I'd LOVE to hear the Lanois...

Have you heard Dave do it solo? Check out this show if you haven't, as it's pretty close in feel to what they did last night, though Mike's vocals and added instrumentality took it to another level.

Aloha,

Brad