Jambands.ca

Wasabi?

AdamH

Hmm, well it seems that people over on Jamhub are discussing the holier-than-thou attitude of the Wassabi Collective. I only saw them once, at Frontier, and appreciated the guitarists cool whirly "make you see things with your eyes closed" contraption". As for their music, didn't dig it. Too hippy dippy for my tastes. But as to their attitudes I had nothing to say about it either way. Anyone else?

P.S. It's friday, I leave work in a half hour, and I need some juice to get me through the rest of the day

all I've seen is really busy people who only have so much time to set up, play, tear down and get to the next show (up to a 16 hour drive)... they travel hard while touring and hang out with thousands of different people across the land... they've written close to 3 albums of original material in under 2 years and are constantly going through personel changes... any time I've been able to hang out with them they're super friendly, laid back awesome folks

I guess they could be refering to Melissa likes to get a little theatrical on stage and make big eyes and stuff, oh well... Scott and Jeremy never do anything showy

sounds like your average boo-hoo... if you don't like it, don't watch it

well, I read the thread and it was the guy who set up the sound at the last minute feeling like the band ("the bongo chick") weren't totally friendly when they showed up and there was no P.A. and they ended up playin through a rigged up ghetto blaster that the person felt should have impressed them with his effort [Confused]

oh well, guess they shouldn't play that club again, live and learn

hmmmm.... don't wanna go too far, but i know a couple of the wassabi-folk from my victoria days and i can see where that impression is coming from. for sure. i say i know a couple of them, but i was never good friends with them really for that reason - strange attitude, weird energy - no thanks... i'm not on the same wavelength i guess. that really came through in their music for me, so i couldn't stand it. i suppose they've got their good days and bad like anyone else though.

that's enough from me.

in the thread someone had the bright notion that Wassabi looks down on people from the East Coast because they are from Ontario [Roll Eyes]

(note: the band is from Victoria, B.C.)

in any case, it had nothing to do with the band on stage... more like how they acted while apperently Melissa was stressed because they drove out of their way to play in Moncton and the club had no sound system...

wassabi rocks

when they played at pepperjacks last time they didnt have equipment so i got them the shit they needed, they werent used to it but they made due and they were very polite and thankful that they could get some shit to put the show on. i have no clue what that guy on teh hub is saying,. i guess they were havin a bad day, i understand, shit goes wrong every chance it gets,, especially when your 1000s of miles from home. thats when it really likes crappin out on ya.

i dunno i dont think ive caught them on a bad day so i cant say if theyre snobs or what.

the music is good IMO

quote:

Originally posted by earthfreak:

fu@kin b.c. snobs.

paisley - i wouldn't roll my eyes at that notion.... some folks got messed-up mindsets on the westcoast. no offence to anyone - that's where i'm from and i've met plenty.

I was rolling my eyes because in that thread they were saying fuckin Ontario snobs... was just sayin HEY NOW!!

1) Wassabi isn't from Ontario

2) Most of us here in Ontario like East Coasters

I lived out west as well and know what you're talkin about earthfreak... some holier than thou's runnin around... but there's lots of good people out that way as well, same as anywhere

personal experience with Wassabi has been really open, nice people who are living life at a fast pace while touring... the band sprung for a $60 bootleg case of beer last time in Hamilton and gave most of it away to everyone at the after-gathering... I can't complain about that sort of treatment [Wink]

hmmm... more hippy trance than hippy house. I don't find it repetitive, but I can see how people might see that. I love Wassabi... I think they're one of the best Canadian bands to dance to. So much energy coming off the stage. Nice kids as well. Melissa did seem a little aggravated the last time I saw them in Toronto, but their bus problems would be enough to make me pissed, let alone having nowhere to stay or store my gear. She was still nice when I spoke to her, as were the rest of the band. Can't wait to see them on Sunday.

before you go making comments about people you don't even know. i happen to know these brothers and sisters took my friends on tour and traeated them to everthing for 2 months. staying in hotels having lavshish dinners and so on. and you would call this snobbish, i would call kind my friend.

quote:

Originally posted by Chickenbutter420:

before you go making comments about people you don't even know. i happen to know these brothers and sisters took my friends on tour and traeated them to everthing for 2 months. staying in hotels having lavshish dinners and so on. and you would call this snobbish, i would call kind my friend.

Cheers B, agreed.

When Wassabi played here during the Shaker, they not only stole the show, but stayed on an extra three days, entertaining me and a few others with some late night sickass jams.

This is one East Coast dude who knows and loves 'em, and would be more than happy to host them here again anytime.

#1.Farley is the man,throws the best party east of Ontario..ever.

#2.TWC is smoking,great folk with great attitudes,as far as I have ever seen and I have spent some time with em,here or there....I have zero problems with em...hippie house,hippie trance..whatever it is,I know when I was working the door at PJC the first time they rolled around,folks were stunned and in awe,not one soul complained about it,even in june at PJC there was about 350 folks there,now...I guess one would say that 350 people are wrong?..ummm 350 people.

ps.There was a line up there to get in(june 06) and we were turning em away at the gate...yep,they must suck [Roll Eyes]

I love em [smile] thats all I need to know [smile]

Their music provokes lots of different emotions

... like that too.. they put extra energy and go out of their way to please their fans.. they love what they do.. and it shows .. cuz even when they are done playin what they get paid for... they go above and beyond. How many other bands do that really? They interact with their fans, jam with their fans, play and try to bring everyone into the music... to feel it, understand, and experiance what they are.. thats makes them pretty damn good to me..

if you dont like them, why is it that you care so much? dont like their music? dont go to the show. dont buy the cd. dont like them as people? first, i would say get to know them, second i would say dont interact. and lastly, grow up.

kudos to wassabi for doing their thing, regardless. great music, great energy, great vibes...keep up the good work.

It was my first time seening the wasabi at pepperjacks and I will never go see them again. Just Bad. A poor man's new deal. The vibe was great because of the amount of people but they lost me about 20 min. into there 3 hours jam of the same song . I think this band is for hippy's that refuse to go see house dj's. [Eek!]

Hey - I spoke with Jeremy for quite a while after my set at CTMF. He seems to be a great guy who knows what he likes musically and mad some very interesting points. I think anyone who spends as much time on hte road as they do may not be friendly all the time....some one may feel snubbed because they didn't pay 100% attention to them - gro up, get a hobby, stop living through other lives.

Archived