Jambands.ca

Into The Wild

Esau.

I'm sure others here have read this book. I received it as a gift from a girlfriend back in 1998, while we backpacked around the Yukon. Very fitting.

Hopefully the story isn't "hollywooded" up to much. This would be something I would actually go see in a theater, which is very rare.

Synopsis

Into the Wild is the story of Christopher McCandless, who grew up in a wealthy suburb of Washington, D.C. and died, aged 24, in the Alaskan wilderness. After graduating in 1990 from Emory University, McCandless changed his name, ceased communicating with his family, gave away his savings of $24,000 to OXFAM and disappeared, later abandoning his car and burning all the money in his wallet.

In April 1992, an Alaskan named Jim Gallien dropped McCandless off at Stampede Trail in Alaska. There McCandless headed down the snow-covered trail to begin an Alaskan odyssey with only ten pounds of rice, a .22 caliber rifle, a camera, several boxes of rifle rounds, some camping gear, and a small selection of literature– including a field guide to the region's edible plants. His wasted body was found in early September by moose hunters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild

http://www.intothewild.com/

I really want to see this too.

Just heard the Eddie Vedder contribution to the Sean Penn directed film...a cover of Hard Sun.

Be prepared ...Hard Sun

I first heard this story through a show called Millenium.Anybody remember it?It was sort of a religious conspiracy Xfiles...anyway they did an epsiode based on McCandless' life.

The book was good too.Interesting.

Just heard the Eddie Vedder contribution to the Sean Penn directed film...a cover of Hard Sun.

Vedder did the whole soundtrack (songs, anyways). Looking forward to both the movie and the album

Into the Wild is the first solo album from Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder based on his contributions to the soundtrack for the film of the same name. In the film's credits, Michael Brook is actually acknowledged for composing the film's original music (Vedder is primarily responsible for the songs in the film.) Vedder's cover of the song "Hard Sun" (originally written by Gordon Peterson who performed under the name of Indio on the album Big Harvest) features backing vocals by Corin Tucker of Sleater-Kinney and appears in the film, along with a slew of other folky ballads. Director Sean Penn hand-picked Vedder to provide the music for the film. Vedder collaborates with Jerry Hannan on the song "Society", written by Hannan.

Into_the_Wild_album_cover.jpg