Jambands.ca

On the endless subject of festivals and the environment

allison

Think this will work?The Echo Project

The basic idea is that long with alternative enrgy resources powering the festival,a focus on consumption and waste but importantly also restoration.The festival will use its resources to draw people for three weeks prior and after to clean the local waterway(Chattahoochee.....love that name) and habitats.

Interesting on the heels of the "is Bonnaroo worth it" debate.

The Echo Project,Atlanta,Georgia

Line up

The Killers

Phil Lesh

Thievery Corporation

moe

The Roots

The Flaming Lips

Cypress Hill

Les Claypool

Michael Franti & Spearhead

Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah

Rodrigo y Gabriela

Umphrey's McGee

Disco Biscuits

Stephen Marley

Bravery

Medeski Martin & Wood

mstrkrft

Cat Power and Dirty Delta Blues

Polyphonic Spree

JJ Grey & Mofro

Secret Machines

Son Volt

Avett Brothers

Perpetual Groove

Brazilian Girls

MAN MAN

Lyrics Born

The Album Leaf

The Benevento - Russo Duo

Tea Leaf Green

ALO

God is and Astronaut

Ryan Shaw

The Egg

Toubab Krewe

Wood Brothers

Snowden

Futureman and his Black Mozart Ensemble

RAQ

Dubconscious

Spam Allstars

Afromotive

Greenskeepers

Lazaro Casanova

Marc Ford

Col. Bruce Hampton & The Quark Alliance

Telepath

Little Birdie

Collective Efforts

Boom Box

March Fourth Marching Band

Scissors for Lefty

Dead Confederate

Benzos

Barrel House Mamas

Strut

Something Japanese

Grimace Federation

Spencer Durham Band

The Jamie McLean

3$ Hostage

Sam Thacker

Lord is My Shotgun

Entropy

Ployd

Mike Zarin

Sorted

Munir

Random Rabbit

Sonar

Soundwave

Mayhem

Habersham / Numinous

Secret Life

Will

Brandon B

Treasure Fingers

Truform

Chris Grass

Eric ZBD

Very cool event. Hillside has also been 'green' on a much smaller scale for years. Virtually all food at the festival is served on reusable plates which are hand washed by an army of volunteers; water was provided free of charge for people with reusable containers; a living roof was planted on top of the main stage (which incidentally will also cover the roof of the new hotel and convention centre adjacent to the university of guelph); shuttle busses have been running for years; one stage is fully solar powered, and; film containers are provided for people to keep their cigarette butts. Lots of organization, no doubt, but quite appreciated and respected by all.

that's a tiny convention centre, in a very inconvenient location :)

im not sure we are talking about the same place. im referring to the new one under construction beside the university, ministry buildings and the research parks at the corner of gordon and stone with 14,000 sq ft in meeting rooms. perhaps not Toronto-size, but it will be the biggest in the area and sorely needed. its location couldn't be more convenient, i think.

i'd argue that i am the greenest musician, as i only have 3 guitars (one which has been handed down - recycled!), i do not create consumable plastics such as cds, keychains, etc, i do not tour and therefore do not encourage thousands of people to get in their cars and follow my buses / planes to a venue where they can consume and create waste, etc etc...

:)

Musicians who completley suck intentionally would be the greenest...such purposeful misdirection of the masses need to partake of the music industries byproducts is green saintliness.

Or maybe the greenest is when you convince your audience that you arethe greenest of the enlightened and to continue consuming in the same manner as before because you,oh blessed band,have purchased environmental salvation by buying carbon offsets...say like Coldplay.