Jambands.ca

Thoughts on Yellowknife?

Hartamophone

Hi there.

I've been offered a job in Yellowknife, NWT for January-April (as part of the co-op program at school). Right now I'm really leaning towards taking it, and would be really appreciative of any input folks around here might have to offer in terms of living up North. (I should probably mention here that I'm a fan of cold weather, despite currently living in Victoria. I'm giving an answer by noon, Pacific time, on Thursday, so I'd love some feedback (be it positive or negative) in the meantime. Thanks in advance.

Peace,

Hart

Edited by Guest

Definitely go man, you won't regret it. NWT is beautiful in my opinion.

I can't give to much advice about living there, I spend a summer up there while my father was working there in the early 80's and then travelled through on my way to the Yukon a few years back, but if you are going to have your own car, invest in a block heater. ;)

I have never been there, but I know a really cool snowboard chick who moved back there from Whistler. She loves it there. (It isn't her hometown, either, but she had lived there before.)

Since then, she bought a place there and plans to stay. It sounds beautiful out there.

Go for it. This chance won't come again (and with no strings attached!)

I'll get you in touch with my friend out there, too, if you like.

I really enjoyed the 2 weeks I spent there.

It's a pretty interesting slice of Canadiana.

I was there in the summer mind you with 24 hour daylight not 24 hour darkness.

I have a friend up there that would be happy to show you around if you end up going...she may be leaving for Victoria soon, but if she's not around someone else might be.

I'd say go for it! The low lying rock made me feel like I was on the moon :-)

you'll love it!!! we live in whitehorse, and were only supposed to come up here for 6 months. plus i have heard just as good of things about yellowknife - great festival in the summer, i think it is called folk on the rocks.

if you are into outdoorsy stuff, the north is a wonederful place to be. the spring time and summer are so energizing with all the light!!

just be sure to buy plenty of socks and underware before you go. every time we fly out of whitehorse, that is the main thing i stock up on!!!!!!

take care and enjoy!

a*