Jambands.ca

Restaurants near Yonge+College in Toronto?

bradm

I'll be in Toronto on Friday night, and my hotel is pretty much right at Yonge & College, so I'm interested in restaurant recommendations near there; funky/bistro-type places, informal, with a varied and interesting menu would be cool, and I'll want to sit down for dinner between 5pm and 6pm, so they need to be open for dinner reasonably early. Is there anything that fits the bill?

Aloha,

Brad

Hey Brad, head south on Yonge to just north of Yonge and Gerrard (one block south of College). The place is Ginger and the food is Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese. Get the chicken noodle soup or any of the beef/chicken/shrimp on rice dishes. The spring rolls are delicious too. It's very affordable (even cheap). It's not too funky, but in just two years, there are now 3 or 4 of these restaurants in the city and all because the food kicks ass. BTW, it's on the east side of Yonge, across from the above-ground parking lot.

i recommended the area because its just around the corner and has a bunch of places like what brad described. the fact its gay is just a bonus :P

be careful though, brad, not all the chicks are chicks ;) ... but the food is good in almost any of the places on the street, and the service is much better than out in straightyville.

Brad, take my advice on what to order at Ginger. The chicken noodle soup is a meal in itself, but flesh it out with a couple of chicken spring rolls. Also, the beef/chicken/shrimp/grilled pork-chops on rice dishes kick ass - there's one that includes the first three meats grilled on rice, and I believe it's still around $6. Also, the place is more like a cafeteria-style, so tips are not manditory (there are no waiters or waitresses).

Thanks again, Jaimoe. I'll check the portion sizes, as I really have to watch my carbohydrate intake, and may opt for just the grilled meats on rice plus a roll or two; I have a feeling that plus noodle soup (especially if it's a meal in itself) may be too much.

I also read in one review about being able to get iced Vietnamese coffee, which I've never had (though I suspect it'll be too sweet for me). Is that worth getting?

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

I've never had the iced Vietnamese coffee, but back to the soup. If you get the small of chicken noodle soup (you can get hot and sour chicken noodle soup, but it's not as good in my opinion), it's more than a meal, I'd add one or two spring rolls to go with it. The rolls are a buck a piece. The large bowl would almost fill-up Badhams or a really peckish Davey Boy.

Add a splash of hot sause into the soup.

I believe the beer is cheap there too. It comes in cans. By no means is the atmosphere good at Ginger - although the original restaurant at Yonge and Bloor, beside The Brass Rail, is always colourful. Ginger is like a cafeteria, but that's what keeps it cheap. There's also one at Church & Wellesley and a new one at Carleton & Parliament (Cabbagetown). All are close to Brad's hotel, but the one at Gerrard is less than a 10 minute walk.

Reading here that Ginger 2 is in the old Lindy's reminds me of going to see Beatlemania at the O'Keefe Center when I was in high school. We went to Lindy's for dinner and one of the girls ordered the "Fillet Migioni". I guess if you are gonna screw up French pronunciation, that wasn't the worst place to do it. Gotta love them $2.99 steaks. :D

i think you took us to ginger once there Jaimoe, many years ago now- i certainly do remember having soup with you either in a drunken or hungover haze (like any time i spend with you really)

And since I was more sober, I vividly remember you loving the soup just before your face planted into the bowl.

i went to ginger 2 this past week and it was great! i found the atmosphere a surprise at first, but it seemed funky and casual at any rate :) i had the chicken noodle soup which was a huge bowl of broth and a large bowl of rice noodles with cilantro and chicken. and the spring rolls were awesome and garlicky just like people said!