Jambands.ca

Rolling Stone Mag - Top 25 Live Albums

Esau.

Yeah - I stopped renewing my subscription a few years ago - 25% stuff I was interested in alot or a little, 60% I wasn't interested in and %40 seemed to be advertisemnts. (yes I know its more then 100% ) 028ws9.gif

It is interesting to see Phish on one of their lists though, not sure how many times that has happened, at least concerning best albums.

And to have the Bruce box set included, but no mention of a real live album (London 1975 that was a part of the BtRun box set) is a travesty. That 75 show is magical, and a must. The 75-85 box set has not aged so well........

S

ps. For a bit of music trivia, did you know that when Columbia released the Springsteen live box set- they were so swamped with demands that they produced no other albums for nearly 4 months!

So the top 25 live albums list is a collections of photos of the bands who created the albums? that's weak.

I don't see any Queen on there - Live Killers, Live at Wembley 86, Queen Rock Montreal are all stellar albums.

Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous is also amazing.

Elvis Costello Live at El Mocambo is wicked

Clapton Unplugged...

Just another weak list by RS

It's not hard for RS to make a decent Best Of list because each list draws from a time period when the magazine was actually respected and historically relevant. They jumped the shark in the 80's, which is understandable since that's when I jumped the shark. That disgustiung decade did a lot of us in, at least music-wise.

Do you think any of those albums should bump-out the one's that are already listed... with all due respect?

I love Albert King's Live Wire or The Quintet Jazz at Massey Hall or even Live Evil, but I don't think RS looks to jazz and blues too much, let alone 70's metal or art rock. Although the idea of Focus making the list makes me shudder.

Do you think any of those albums should bump-out the one's that are already listed... with all due respect?

I love Albert King's Live Wire or The Quintet Jazz at Massey Hall or even Live Evil, but I don't think RS looks to jazz and blues too much, let alone 70's metal or art rock. Although the idea of Focus making the list makes me shudder.

They're simply in my best all time live recordings. ;) Yup, and all from my youth (and guitar based).

I think cases could be made for both the Deep Purple and Johnny Winter records - both popular, important. The Free is an unappreciated gem, but very influential.

'Course RS focuses as much (or more) on cultural import than musical import.

Yeah, Focus is silly, but Akkerman's on fire on that disc. ;)