Jambands.ca

Led Zeppelin Reunion

boiler

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is WAY too much emphasis based on image. So, you can have a player that can rock out harder than most youth in a guy like Neil. There are plenty of other "older" musicians who still have their chops. On one hand, people will give Neil credit where it's due, but lambaste another musician simply because they've put on a few pounds or lost some hair.

I wish that there were some bands that would perform behind a friggin wall on stage so that it forced people to LISTEN to what they are playing. This would filter out a ton of the crap that is being sold and push a lot of the cream to the top. However, the public LOVE a lot of the crap.

As fans of music should we not be focussing on the MUSIC. Who cares what the performer looks like. Damn, there are so many great acts from the past that would never have made it in the industry during the past few decades simply because they weren't pretty.

If 'look' matters that much for a performance to determine whether you go or not, maybe one should question why they are going in the first place. Everyone has their own reasons, and those are valid to them. Personally, I can't understand why people would spend money to go and see some bands, and I know some people can't understand why I go and see some of the bands I do.

I remember for YEARS how people would mock the Grateful Dead ... did it really matter what they 'looked' like? If they sounded like shit it wasn't because Jerry wasn't wearing black sweat pants, or because Bobby was playing a pink guitar :D

If 'look' matters that much for a performance to determine whether you go or not, maybe one should question why they are going in the first place.

Actually, if looks are important to someone, then going to SEE the band in concert makes perfect sense. If none of the trappings of rock'n'roll matter to you then why not stay home and listen to the studio album?

Image was a huge part of Zep's fame. Just LISTEN to The Ocean from The Song Remains the Same soundtrack, then WATCH the performance on the DVD that came out a few years ago. It's simply visceral.

I agree Ollie, image is really important and always has been. Look at Elvis, Buddy Holly or Roy Orbison. All created lasting and strong images. The Who were very aware of their image, or lackthereof, in the middle part of the Mod movement, so they started to mod it up to gain a more immediate fanatic fanbase.

If 'look' matters that much for a performance to determine whether you go or not' date=' maybe one should question why they are going in the first place.[/quote']

Actually, if looks are important to someone, then going to SEE the band in concert makes perfect sense. If none of the trappings of rock'n'roll matter to you then why not stay home and listen to the studio album?

Image was a huge part of Zep's fame. Just LISTEN to The Ocean from The Song Remains the Same soundtrack, then WATCH the performance on the DVD that came out a few years ago. It's simply visceral.

Being there is hugely important, for me at least. To view a performer mastering their instrument is amazing. The synergy with a crowd! Feeling the music hit not only your eardrums, but your body. I'm referring more to the look as simply a 'fashion' or the likes. For some people seeing an Eddie Van Halen shred without long hair 'lessens' the performance. I think that's ridiculous and shows how that person is not as connected to the musical side of the act. All I'm saying is that while some acts utilize image as an important factor at gaining early success, really great music can survive on it's own. There are always exceptions. Often the visual is a integral part of the art and truly enhances the experience (eg. Gabriel-era Genesis) but that's not to say that the music can't be performed without it and not have integrity.

The Ocean sounds FANTASTIC on The Song Remains The Same. Getting to see it is a bonus, but some might argue that it can also be a distraction. Being there would have been a trip. I often close my eyes at concerts for segments and it's incredible how much more you can HEAR. Seriously, give it a try.

Edited by Guest

he makes a few good points but i dislike this lefsetz jerk more and more with each article that gets foisted upon me.

Same here. Ever since I saw him on The Hour, I have wanted to strangle his fat, balding old ass-self. I used to enjoy him but he's become a one hit nostalgic act.

he makes a few good points but i dislike this lefsetz jerk more and more with each article that gets foisted upon me.

Same here. Ever since I saw him on The Hour' date=' I have wanted to strangle his fat, balding old ass-self. I used to enjoy him but he's become a one hit nostalgic act.[/quote']

Further proof that image is everything. ;)

do you have a point here' date=' other than trying to annoy me?

:)[/quote']

My point is that you just made a generalization, and it's not the first time I've read you make that specific one re: complainers.

I'm just annoying you back. :)

no, i said that SOME people like to complain. i didn't say ALL people like to complain.

here's a non-generalization for ya....OLLIE likes to complain.

do you have a point here' date=' other than trying to annoy me?

:)[/quote']

My point is that you just made a generalization, and it's not the first time I've read you make that specific one re: complainers.

I'm just annoying you back. :)

no, i said that SOME people like to complain. i didn't say ALL people like to complain.

here's a non-generalization for ya....OLLIE likes to complain.

Re-read your post -- "some people complain about EVERYTHING" is a generalization.

And no, I don't like to complain but I'm not going to swallow shit and say it tastes like ice cream.

I like Lefsetz because he doesn't give anyone a free pass on anything, in spite of the fact he's hugely sentimental, which is normally not a great attribute if you really want to LISTEN to music.

Some people THINK others complain about everything, when all they are doing is coldly and clinically calling things like they see them. What can I say? I once had someone bitch me out because in the middle of a middling, death-by-groovy-jamz band performing at Pepper Jack's one night years ago, they asked me my opinion, and I told them. And it wasn't favourable. Because the band SUCKED! In my opinion.

It's not my fault they decided to take it personally.

ollie, i think you must be pretty bored. of all the things to pick out to discuss in this thread....i mean come on.

back on topic...

i totally understand some people not wanting to see zeppelin now, especially if you saw them back in the 70s. it would be like going to coventry after seeing years worth of clifford balls.

but i was not lucky enough to see them back then and i would be thrilled to see them now. if the show isn't top notch, it's not going to alter how i listen to the albums or how much i love the band. i'll take it for what it is, a live concert. NOT going to concerts for fear of having a bad time does not enter into the equation for me, ever.

Some people THINK others complain about everything' date=' when all they are doing is coldly and clinically calling things like they see them.[/quote']

Or maybe they are simply complaining about everything and others are calling them on it because they see it like that. Perspective MarcO.

Or maybe they're not complaining about everything and others can't handle their bubbles being burst so they complain about others complaining all the time. Perspective Booche.