Jambands.ca

NMAS >> Toronto

bONES

I've seen them four times, but their studio albums have gotten incrementally worse. It has everything to do with Luther's inability to write good songs and their evolving Big Star/rock influences, plus he doesn't have a rock voice. When they were the raw blues band of their first album, I was really excited. But they've lost most of their blues relevance. It's frustrating for us original fans.

It's frustrating for us original fans.

I was listening to these guys before I even knew who Phish was.

The show I saw in Florida was all blues, maybe it was because they were down south, but there was nothing rockstar about it, I thought it was actually pretty dirty.

I suggest you download the late night show from Langerado last year, its pretty sick.

At one time I was a massive fan. I know I came to them late, but I first saw them after Polaris was released. The show I saw was mind-blowing - Oct 1/03 at Lee's. I listened to it for ages after that. Picked up Shake Hands with Shorty and 51 Phantom and they're both monstrous records, I love them. I finally got my hands on Polaris a while later and realized why everybody was hating on them just as I was starting to like them - it's an incredibly shitty record! Don't care much for Electric Blue Watermelon either.

I saw them two nights in a row at the Horseshoe in early 2004 and those shows were also great. Saw them again the next time they were through, at Lee's again, after Duwayne Burnside had left, and thought it was so-so. Not that Duwayne added a great deal - most of his tunes were Albert King-style Chicago blues rockers - but the stuff they were able to do with two guitars was what impressed me. Chris Chew is NOT a heavy bass player at all; I think if they're going to sound good live again as a three-piece they've gotta get Chew playing like Allen Woody.

In any event...I might check it out to see what they sound like these days.

I know their stuff fairly well. I gotta know what I criticize. They can still bring it when they stay within their strengths. They're still a youngish band, so there's hope that they'll regress. Both 51 Phantom and Polaris are virtually unlistenable, but there work on Hill Country Review was excellent, however Electric Blue Watermelon was disappointing, even though it was blues.

Both 51 Phantom and Polaris are virtually unlistenable

Are you serious man? Those two albums couldn't sound more different from one another in my opinion. I group Shorty and Phantom together, I think they sound alot alike, even though Shorty is all blues standards and Phantom's got a fair bit of Luther's writing. You can't get down with tunes like Sugartown and Lord Have Mercy? They stand closer to tunes like Po Black Maddie > Skinny Woman than tunes like Otey and whatever the hell else is on Polaris.

• 1 month later...

I can't stand seeing Luther play such shitty gear man...Marshall Valvestate amps...I mean, that's not exactly pro shit.

However - the promoter owes you a beer, Bones, cause after seeing that vid I feel I will attend after all. Tugged at the old heartstrings. And shit, Cody Dickinson is a great drummer.

are you gonna make it starhead? I live close to the venue if you want to meet up for some drinks.

I teach Tuesday & Thursday nights until 10pm and then have to clean up the shop.

I won't get down to Lee's until at least 10:30'ish.

I am thinking about going as it's been a long time since I was out at a show, but I wouldn't be able to meet up for pre-drinks :( thanks for the offer though c-towns :)

However - the promoter owes you a beer, Bones, cause after seeing that vid I feel I will attend after all. Tugged at the old heartstrings. And sh!t, Cody Dickinson is a great drummer.

agreed!

how do I cash in on said beer :)

hopefully I'll catch you boys down there (although I don't have a ticket yet)

I fuckin love them, and luther dickenson is a heavy slide player, I'm not aware of that many other guys in the blues realm who can play slide that melodically. they are a fuckin amazing band IMO and I can't wait for the chance to see them again. I will be on the floor dancing like a motherfucker. And motherfuckers dance hard.