Jambands.ca

Black Schools!???!!!!!

The Chameleon

Doesn't the fact that the "Afrocentric" classes will not be taught to the wider, school attending population (read: white people), send a message to the black kids that their history isn't "really" important, but if it will make them happy they'll teach it to them? Doesn't it also send that message to the rest of the population as well?

I think this is a stupid decision.

Great point.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow reading this has made me very confused. I can see both good and bad aspects to this arguement. Part of me thinks that it's a great idea. I do think that part of being a Canadian means accepting other cultures. I think the intentions behind an afrocentric school are definatly good.. more education and more diversity...I also have to say what is wrong with opening more schools like this one..? At the same time I also see it as 'reverse racsim' cause it seems that it would just separte people more.

I loved what Alison said about differences... I think this is what the main point of such a school is...I think the point behind it is to learn more about things we have forgotten.

It just reminds me of how intricate of an issue Racism is... we all see it a different way but we all know what it is...

I'm not black and I haven't had a history of racist acts and maljustice acted out blatantly or through acts of passive aggression towards myself or my kin (unless the chinese ladies on the skytrain or the sidewalk pretending they don't speak english when I ask them what time it is count). Although I believe it might not work as well as hoped, it shouldn't meet with such nearsighted criticism.

Glad that you folk care about the world around you but, unless the 'scene' changed drastically since i moved to vancouver, most of you are not involved directly in the situation.

Why not be open to it? Because it is devised under an air of exclusivity while you believe there should be mandated inclusion?

They're trying to empower their people. People that supposedly feel downtrodden and ineffective.

If you want to gauge it when it's up and running, see if it's a safe bet to find successful crack dealers or grads with heady scholarships.

Either way they really deserve some support as many feel their community hasn't had the kindness and tenderness they need to succeed.

Feel like it's 1958? Keep in mind that the african-canadian community is rallying for this and not the white government. What a lame cliched comparison.