Jambands.ca

Black Schools!???!!!!!

The Chameleon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The word algebra is derived from al-jabr... which if you were speaking very slurrily could slip out as sounding remotely like Al Qaeda... thereby very likely including you on the north american no-fly list with Cat Stevens

but aside from that, think it makes a lot more sense to have schools that are publicly funded based on ethnicity than religion... one your born into and the other is a choice... I definately wouldn't have minded hearing more about the pagans and druids whilst getting schooled up (wasn't much of that devil talk in the catholic schools back in my day sadly, aside from grim proclamations that most of my blood ancestors are probably now burning in hell for eternity)

Edited by Guest
yes

Having old white guys re-write the curriculum to be more diverse? I dunno... I don't think it's going to help make a sanctified Black space where black bodies are "origin"al to the education that is being delivered. If you trust your hip hop more than your teachers you've already gone to an afrocentric oral university.

Arm Leg Leg Arm Head

ALLAH

onelove

I really have no problem with this...or faith based schools for the matter.If the public funds these "separate " schools...the public also, through the governing body, has input into the curruiculums running in these schools.If they are separateley funded then the curriculum's are autonomously developed with no outside (read countering) opinions.I would rather know that people were allowed to learn in an environment designed to assist optimal learning with some modicum of "surveillance"(not the best word)to ensure that what is taught there doesn't become to community specific.

The best solution to that I can think of is to allow "specialty" schools under the public umbrella, and enforce a mandatory cross cultural analysis course in each grade.

I refuse to believe that we are all best served by attending the same type of schools.That is Politically Correct bullshit.

We are all not the same.Equal...yes.The same?Not a fucking chance.Honoring differences isn't wrong.Nobody kicks up a fuss about gifted kids going to special programs.

I attended many different types of schools...and without a doubt they were more effective if they closely matched my social background,learning style etc.

Our educators should focus on teaching, not social engineering.

When a significant percentage of high school graduates cannot spell "definitely", don't know the difference between "your" and "you’re", and cannot subtract 63 from 100 without a calculator, it's a sign that our education system is failing.

Get back to the 3 Rs!

Signed,

Crusty Old Man

680 News radio in Toronto did a story today on this decision revealing that members of the board that voted "yes" were also the ones that wanted faith-based schools, the implication meaning they used this vote as leverage for their real agenda, which will rear its ugly head in the near future. Shame on them.

ARRGGHH ... go figure. I hope that some news outlet does a breakdown of the trustees and their votes.

I wonder where Canadian history fits into black school curriculum? Historically, there's really been an embarrassing apathy towards Canadian historical focus in regular schools. American history has a sexier (read: more interesing and violent) appeal, not to mention black kids often relate to black American pop icons more than Canadian ones. Prove my last comment to be wrong.

I wonder where Canadian history fits into black school curriculum?

I can't see how the subjects wouldn't be the same...what changes is the context within which they are put, the prioritizing or emphasis changing on different facets of it.

not to mention black kids often relate to black American pop icons more than Canadian ones. Prove my last comment to be wrong.

Ya...but don't Canadian white kids do too?

there's really been an embarrassing apathy towards Canadian historical focus in regular schools.

was taught that "savages" here used to burn early missionaries to death tied to stakes (have always personally sided with the natives on this one), though they admired the missionaries who didn't scream while burning, and this turned the missionaries into saints.

most Canadians I talk to should know a lot more about the year 1812

trying to not repeat too much what's already been said -

allison i think you make good arguments [as usual ;) ] but i still don't think this is a good idea, for the same reason that i don't think faith-based schooling is a good idea.

i have had the opportunity to teach in two schools. one school is extremely multi-cultural, and one is extremely white.

i have found that instances of racism and ignorance in the multicultural school occur far less often [at least in my eyes] than at the mostly-white school. i'm sure it's because at the M-C school all of these kids are exposed to each other so they can see that no "race" is any scarier or nicer than any other. one person can wear a hijab and one not and still be friends. whereas in the mostly-white school, many of these kids do not know kids from other "races", and so misconceptions persist. ya know?

i think that incorporating more diverse curriculum is an excellent idea, and in fact many teachers are trying to do this on their own.

of course this doesn't mean that, without a doubt, a race-based school will cause any more social meltdown, especially xenophobia, than we already have. but i have a strong feeling that it would.

General question...what is more important;

1.That kids are not racist.

2.That kids can read and write.

Obviously both...and I would argue the communicative tools of 2 lead /assist 1...

but if you had to choose ONE to focus on achieving..which would it be?

Edited by Guest