Jambands.ca

Black Schools!???!!!!!

The Chameleon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it wise to assume that better-read people are less likely to be racists?

Not at all...and I'm not.I didn't answer the question.

"Better read" isn't really what I was getting at either.Everybody can be educated to BE ignorant..and can use knowledge to solidify an ignorant stance.

If reading and writing as basic tools and NOT being racist are both qualities we ascribe to successfully being participatory in society (not that they predetermine it..obviously there are lots of instances of individuals having one,or the other , or neither and being "successful")then how do we ensure that those qualities are taught?

If a kid goes to school and learns to be tolerant beacuse the school is multicultural, but at the same time finds no outlet or safety to learn basic skills effectively ...is that good?

Conversely, if a kid attends a homogenous population school whose insular environment assists skill aquisition, but they are ignorant of other cultures...is that good?

Edited by Guest

If faith based schools failed as an initiative why do race based shcools get the OK?!!

the whole thing is ludacris. I agree they need to address the problem of black kids dropping out but within an inclusive framework not an exclusive one.

And yes I know that white kids can got to these "afro-centric" schools. Btu in reality non will and pretty soon Scarborough will become "Scarlem" for real.

Is it 2008? Feels like 1958.

Well... I'm black and I pay more attention to the U.S. so you're right sucka.

Name an important, current Black Canadian (read non-immigrant) politician or lecturer on social issues, one who highschoolers would know of, and you get a cookie.

(previous comments purple where you need them to be, suckas)

sidenote

* A survey from Cambridge has revealed that students who have the most sex get the worst academic results. The online study, published in the student newspaper Varsity, asked more than 1,000 members in various Cambridge colleges in-depth questions about their sex lives. It revealed that students at poorly performing colleges are more likely to be sleeping around. Students studying medicine are among those who have the most sexual partners compared with mathematicians, who had the fewest - almost half the mathematicians have never had sex, whereas the average medic has had at least eight sexual partners.

according to this story, the pilot program worked and teachers and kids liked it. I think there are some good points in this article

Africentric studies buoy school

Inspiring pilot-test courses get high marks from students, teachers

Louise Brown

Education Reporter

Emily Canfield already knows what Africentric schooling might look like in Toronto – she took special Africentric Grade 7 math lessons last year as part of a pilot project at Brookview Middle School in the Jane-Finch neighbourhood.

She says it was exciting to learn that Africa is the cradle of humanity – for all races – where archeologists found the oldest human skeleton; not Europe, as she believed.

Her class practised theories of probability using numbers from the Star's 2002 series on racial profiling. They plotted circle graphs to track the countries of origin of Canada's black immigrants.

It was all just "so interesting," recalled the 13-year-old yesterday.

So if the Toronto District School Board votes tonight to start an alternative school with an African perspective? Count her in, she says.

Emily is white.

"It's interesting for anybody to learn this," said the soft-spoken student, who describes her heritage as Irish. "And besides, I have friends who are black."

As trustees prepare to vote on whether to set up an alternative school next year that would teach the Ontario curriculum with a focus on the contributions of Africans and African-Canadians, hundreds of students already have a sense of how those courses might feel.

The Toronto board tested Africentric lessons last year in social studies, math, history, dance and music in 45 classes in Grades 6, 7 and 8 across several dozen schools, in a bid to make the curriculum more relevant and engaging for black students who tend to drop out in higher numbers than children of other backgrounds.

At Brookview, the courses are believed to have been one reason test scores went up and suspensions went down over the last year, along with a dynamic new principal who has toughened the rules, brightened the halls and greets students with a smile and a wave of his old-fashioned school bell.

Toronto lawyer Julian Falconer urged this kind of African-centred curriculum in his recent report on school safety, prompted by the shooting death last May of 15-year-old Jordan Manners at C.W. Jefferys Collegiate. Manners went to Brookview Middle School.

Now, as board staff fine-tune the Africentric pilot courses for possible future use, Brookview students and teachers say they want these courses back, and more of them because they are part of a new sense of optimism at the school.

"These courses aren't like segregation. An Africentric school wouldn't be like segregation," argues Arnelle Collison, 13, who is black. "Segregation was by force – this kind of school wouldn't be by force. And it's not only interesting for blacks; it would help everyone be more open-minded."

Math teacher Darlene Jones said in nine years at the school, she has never seen children so engaged by math as they were with the Africentric unit. Even struggling students did better.

"I just loved how they were engaged; it was very exciting because it was all new information about Africa. Not just the big bellies of poverty and hunger, but accomplishments and things to be proud of."

While Brookview's principal, Karl Subban, agrees the Africentric curriculum is popular, he said it's not a magic bullet in a community struggling with poverty and anger, and where kids don't often see themselves going on to higher education.

Only after you have inspired kids to want to come to class can you focus on what to teach, he said.

"The most important thing we're focusing on is building a kind and caring school community," said Subban, standing in front of one of the murals he has had painted with the new Brookview values of responsibility, respect, punctuality, organization and high expectations.

Falconer's report cites Brookview as a "vision of hope," which went from a rundown, demoralized school with the highest suspension rate of all elementary schools in Toronto to a model of success, where the new "Brookview Way" enforces basic values – no hitting, no name-calling – as well as pride in students' accomplishments as well as their African heritage.

Also, there are 36 'alternative' schools run by the Toronto board already. I don't know if that's relevant, but they have specialized programs for the students that go there.

Name an important, current Black Canadian (read non-immigrant) politician or lecturer on social issues, one who highschoolers would know of, and you get a cookie.

Lincoln Alexander, although he's no longer a politician or lecturer (retired).

When I was in HS (1984-88) you were only required to take grades 9 & 10 history, and that covered mosty North American history (Champlian, Cortez, Natives and then the world wars), where as the Canadian histoy wasn't taught in depth until grades 11 & 12. Political classes were optional. We learned about Lincoln Alexander, and other prominent African-Canadian political figures in Canadian history/politics.

I have no idea what the history requirements are anymore, but if they are anything like when I went, obviously if the kids are not taking the classes that teach them about Canadian history and politics they are not going to know many (if any) politicians, of any race or gender through our history.

I think it's far more important to focus on what these potential drop out kids are doing during the hours they're NOT in school rather than take these somewhat unconstitutional steps backwards, trampling all over important gains the civil rights movement has made and is still continuing to make over the years. This makes me shudder.

It’s really a multi-faceted problem, starting with parents who don’t care, are too busy to parent, may not be ‘fit’ to parent in the first place. Coupled with environment/geographical issues of being inner-city kids, heightened crime levels, etc. Then throw on for icing teachers belonging to a school board who are underpaid, undervalued, with not even 10% of the resources they need to actually make a difference… without having to devote their lives and their money to the cause for free.

I think it apathetic and appalling of the school board to come up with such a half hazard plan to think that segregation, or racially focused study is the key to ending their problems. I find it infuriating that our provincial government would accept this and that municipalities aren’t able to step up, interject and come together to create the kind of after school programs, sports leagues and social groups that are geared towards differing demographics-- something to provide some kind of stability in these kids lives, to show them the difference between right and wrong. To be the parents when the parents aren’t there.

I *almost* think it’s funny that we think changing curriculum is going to make an ounce of difference.

Another f’ing bandaid is what this is and it’s a seriously shitty one at that.

according to this story, the pilot program worked and teachers and kids liked it. I think there are some good points in this article
Africentric studies buoy school

Inspiring pilot-test courses get high marks from students, teachers

Louise Brown

Education Reporter

Emily Canfield already knows what Africentric schooling might look like in Toronto – she took special Africentric Grade 7 math lessons last year as part of a pilot project at Brookview Middle School in the Jane-Finch neighbourhood.

She says it was exciting to learn that Africa is the cradle of humanity – for all races – where archeologists found the oldest human skeleton; not Europe, as she believed.

Her class practised theories of probability using numbers from the Star's 2002 series on racial profiling. They plotted circle graphs to track the countries of origin of Canada's black immigrants.

It was all just "so interesting," recalled the 13-year-old yesterday.

So if the Toronto District School Board votes tonight to start an alternative school with an African perspective? Count her in, she says.

Emily is white.

"It's interesting for anybody to learn this," said the soft-spoken student, who describes her heritage as Irish. "And besides, I have friends who are black."

As trustees prepare to vote on whether to set up an alternative school next year that would teach the Ontario curriculum with a focus on the contributions of Africans and African-Canadians, hundreds of students already have a sense of how those courses might feel.

The Toronto board tested Africentric lessons last year in social studies, math, history, dance and music in 45 classes in Grades 6, 7 and 8 across several dozen schools, in a bid to make the curriculum more relevant and engaging for black students who tend to drop out in higher numbers than children of other backgrounds.

At Brookview, the courses are believed to have been one reason test scores went up and suspensions went down over the last year, along with a dynamic new principal who has toughened the rules, brightened the halls and greets students with a smile and a wave of his old-fashioned school bell.

Toronto lawyer Julian Falconer urged this kind of African-centred curriculum in his recent report on school safety, prompted by the shooting death last May of 15-year-old Jordan Manners at C.W. Jefferys Collegiate. Manners went to Brookview Middle School.

Now, as board staff fine-tune the Africentric pilot courses for possible future use, Brookview students and teachers say they want these courses back, and more of them because they are part of a new sense of optimism at the school.

"These courses aren't like segregation. An Africentric school wouldn't be like segregation," argues Arnelle Collison, 13, who is black. "Segregation was by force – this kind of school wouldn't be by force. And it's not only interesting for blacks; it would help everyone be more open-minded."

Math teacher Darlene Jones said in nine years at the school, she has never seen children so engaged by math as they were with the Africentric unit. Even struggling students did better.

"I just loved how they were engaged; it was very exciting because it was all new information about Africa. Not just the big bellies of poverty and hunger, but accomplishments and things to be proud of."

While Brookview's principal, Karl Subban, agrees the Africentric curriculum is popular, he said it's not a magic bullet in a community struggling with poverty and anger, and where kids don't often see themselves going on to higher education.

Only after you have inspired kids to want to come to class can you focus on what to teach, he said.

"The most important thing we're focusing on is building a kind and caring school community," said Subban, standing in front of one of the murals he has had painted with the new Brookview values of responsibility, respect, punctuality, organization and high expectations.

Falconer's report cites Brookview as a "vision of hope," which went from a rundown, demoralized school with the highest suspension rate of all elementary schools in Toronto to a model of success, where the new "Brookview Way" enforces basic values – no hitting, no name-calling – as well as pride in students' accomplishments as well as their African heritage.

Also, there are 36 'alternative' schools run by the Toronto board already. I don't know if that's relevant, but they have specialized programs for the students that go there.

All this article tells me is that adding an African Heritage class to middle schools, especially those at Jane and Finch is a great idea.

And the alternative schools in Toronto arent all that alternative. They're just more like university, or geared towards drop outs. I know, I went to one!

Edited by Guest

Introducing real-world, and current examples for teaching topics is always a useful tool. More teachers should do it. Of course it will engage the students more if you talk about something they have some familiarity with, or connection to. Utilize crime stats for math sure, but use them where appropriate. I know that if they had used "black crime" stats when I was taking math it would have made the news for other reasons!

I agree with what was said before. These sort of programs are valuable when incorporated into school studies, but not to completely take over a curriculum.

It all comes down to teaching like Venus Flytrap:

One Way to Explain the Atom

This is a transcript from part of one episode of the original "WKRP In Cincinnati" TV show. The transcript was written by watching the show and writing it down. The transcript was not double checked against the show.

The DJ character Venus explains the atom to a big high school student named Arnold who plans to drop out of school. Venus is doing it as a favor to Arnold's mom in order to keep Arnold in school. The challenge to Arnold was as follows.

The Challenge

Venus: "I can give you the basics of the atom in two minutes. You'll understand it perfectly and remember if for months."

Arnold: "Two minutes. You're crazy, you know that?"

Venus: "If I can teach you about the atom in two minutes, will you go back to school and finish out the year? You're a betting man, how about it

Arnold? How about it, huh?"

Arnold: "Yeah, yeah. OK, sure."

Venus: "I've got your word?"

Arnold: "Yeah, you've got my word and two minutes."

The Lesson

Venus: Getting supplies, clearing space and walking to a blank wall. "There are three gangs on the street, right?"

Arnold: Lounging on some supplies. "Yeah, yeah, three gangs."

Venus: "And this..." Points to the blank wall "...this right here is the territory." Draws a big circle. "Now here is the neighborhood. Got that?"

Arnold: "Yeah"

Venus: "And right in the middle of this neighborhood is a gang called the new boys." Draws a small capital N in the center.

Arnold: "Yeah. The new boys. Good name."

Venus: "OK." Points to the outer circle. "Out here on the outside of the neighborhood, on the edge of the neighborhood, is another gang. You know these are real negative dudes, really negative. Right?"

Arnold: "Right, right."

Venus: "Now they call themselves the elected ones." Draws a small capital E on the circle at about 1 o'clock.

Arnold: "All right, the elected ones."

Venus: "You got that? Really negative. They don't like nothing." Runs his hand around the circle several times and draws another concentric circle outside it. "Now they're all the time out here circling around the neighborhood, just circling, checking out the new boys." Taps the N in the center. "Now the new boys see this." Runs his hand between the N and E several times. "So they make a deal with another, another gang. A gang of very happy go lucky guys. They call themselves the pros. The pros." Draws a small capital P next to the N in the center. "Now the pros are very positive cats. They've got all the good looking women, right?"

Arnold: "Yeah!"

Venus: "Right." Laughs. "Now, the pros and elected ones, they hate each other. So much so that they keep the same number of members. Just in case. You dig?"

Arnold: "Yeah."

Venus: Starts some rapid fire questions. "So if I've got ten elected ones, how many pros do I have?"

Arnold: "Ten."

Venus: "All right. Now how many gangs do I have?"

Arnold: "Three, the new boys, elected ones and the pros."

Venus: Points to the circle. "Who's here?"

Arnold: "The elected ones."

Venus: "Now, what are they? Negative?"

Venus: All right. Now who's positive?"

Arnold: "The pros and you're running out of time."

Venus: "You see right here?" Points to the P and N area. "The pros and the new boys, they call their hangout the nucleus." Draws a small circle around the P and N. "Yeah. Now that's a real tough word. It's Latin. But I think it's Swahili and it means center."

Arnold: "Yeah. What is it?"

Venus: "It's nucleus. Say it!"

Arnold: "Nucleus. Is that really African?"

Venus: "Say it!"

Arnold: "Nucleus."

Venus: "You got it?"

Venus: "All right. Give you another Swahili word. It's, ah, it's tron. It means dude."

Arnold "Yeah, tron. Dude."

Venus: All these gangs like that name so well that they all decide to use it. The pros right here in the middle start calling themselves the protons. And the new boys, well they start calling themselves the neutrons. And out here on the edge, the elected ones, they start calling themselves the elect...?"

Arnold: "The electrons. The protons and the neutrons."

Venus: Circling his hand over the empty area between the center and outer circles. "And all this here is the neighborhood. This is block after block of nothing. You understand block after block of nothing don't you?"

Arnold: "Yeah, yeah, I know all about that and your time is up professor DJ."

Venus: Dusting his hands and walking away from the wall. "Good. I was finished anyway. Now you go on back to school man."

Arnold: School? Man, all I know about is a bunch of damn gangs that live in a round neighborhood."

Venus: "Arnold! that's the atom! That's it man! That's it." Points to the center and starts rapid fire questions again. "What's this right here?"

Arnold: "Protons and neutrons."

Venus: Points to the little circle. "And they call this what?"

Arnold: "Nucleus."

Venus: Points to the E. "All right, what are these guys up here?"

Arnold: "Electrons."

Venus: "Are they positive or negative?"

Arnold: "Negative."

Venus: "And how do they move?"

Arnold: "Round and round."

Venus: "And if I've got two of them, how many protons do I have?" Points to the center.

Arnold: "Two."

Venus: "Now, are protons positive or negative?"

Arnold: "Positive."

Venus: Points to the empty area. "What's all this right here?"

Arnold: "Ah, that's the neighborhood."

Venus: "Which is?"

Arnold: "Nothing."

Venus: "You've got it man. You got an A."

And the alternative schools in Toronto aren't all that alternative. They're just more like university, or geared towards drop outs. I know, I went to one!

I went to an "alternative" school in Tdot as well briefly...one that specialized in advanced,liberal arts studies for primarily the hippie dropouts form Jarvis Street.Wasn't anyone other than white in the school...though it was located at Degrassi and Dundas...which has a pretty diverse population.

If hippie was a race wouldn't that make it

racially focused study
?

So what's the deciding factor here...if you are collected around an ideology(as long as it's not tabboo religion) its ok to specialize...but if it's race..no way?

I figure the most positive thing coming out of this debate, is the fact that it is indicative (hopefully) of some decision-makers finally seeking to brainstorm interventions aimed at addressing or at least acknowledging a very serious problem without focusing exclusively on the "need for tougher gun laws and criminal punishments".

Although I am VERY skeptical that this is the best approach (e.g. perhaps Afrocentric classes offered within existing public schools and accessible to the general population vs. a distinct school altogether would be a more appropriate response), atleast things like education, positive identities, role models/mentorship, culturally/socially relevant content, etc. are "beginning" to enter into the realm of issues that actually need to be addressed if some of the problems plaguing Toronto's inner city are to be grappled with in any effective manner.

How's that for a run-on sentence?

I figure that the money it would cost to build separate schools that are able to accommodate these new programs could probably be put to more effective use. I'd be curious to here more about the existence/quality of social services and mentoring programs that are being offered in a "proactive" manner and targetted at vulnerable youth within the existing school system. I suspect a lot more money could be poured into beefing up programs that would "help" to alleviate the effects of poverty, and/or equip at least some students with better knowledge and ideally a sense of agency, or at the very least provide more positive and meaningful opportunities/alternatives for youth to pass their time?

Doesn't the fact that the "Afrocentric" classes will not be taught to the wider, school attending population (read: white people), send a message to the black kids that their history isn't "really" important, but if it will make them happy they'll teach it to them? Doesn't it also send that message to the rest of the population as well?

I think this is a stupid decision.