Jambands.ca

Immunity Boosting Ideas?

LJFH

If a cold hits, it's best to stay inside and drink a bottle whiskey, that should knock out any cold. If you want, you can even mix it into one of those fancy smoothie concoctions.

Besides that I take a handful of vitamins and stuff (one-a-day, cod liver oil, echinacea, Glucosamine, B12 and some others) every morning to avoid getting sick. Then to celebrate not being sick, I stay at home and drink a bottle of whiskey.

Lots of good suggestions so far - stress reduction, good natural-sourced multi-vitamin, and smoothies. A few more suggestions

1. A good medicinal mushroom blend. Mushrooms are fabulous for the immune system plus, mushrooms like reishi mushroom are great for stress, high or low blood pressure, angina, strengthening the lungs, cancer, high cholesterol and the list goes on. A really good one to look at is one by a company called New Chapter Organics. There products are way above the rest. Here is a link to a good formula. More and more health food stores are carrying their line and if they don't have this one, they will order it for you...worth the cost.

http://www.newchapter.com/product/product.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=P_Web&-Database=NewChapter&-KeyValue=147

2. If you smoke, this depletes vitamin C. Take about 2000mg of Vitamin C per day. Downdose this if it gives you the runs but most people are good at this level. Don't use chewables as they have sugar or sugar substitutes which compromise the immune system.

3. Zinc lozenges (aka sublingual form) about 1 per day.

4. Echinnacea in capsule is a great preventative. Take as directed. Once something comes on, the powder is no longer effective and then tincture is best at that point as it acts differently in the body.

5. Something that I have been finding very successful is Elderberry. I was taking an extract in a lozenge but these were quite expensive. Now I get this Baja tea with Elderberry, Echinnacea, Rooibos and a few other things. Then I take about a teaspoon of dried Elderberries and add that. Steep covered for 10 minutes. Drink once a day. Everyone has been getting colds and (knock on wood) I haven't yet since I started taking Elderberry.

6. If making smoothies, add some form of a "greens" product.

7. Probiotic is also good for keeping the bacteria balance in the body. Unfortunately, the ones they are sticking in cheese and yogurt etc., really do not have any theraputic value as the levels are not high enough. Not saying that eating it is bad, but if you are trying to rebalance your flora, it just isn't going to cut it.

8. Vit. B50 Complex (1 cap/day) and Vit E. (mixed tocopherals) 200-400 IU a day also help with the body's ability to heal.

9 Great tea when are actually sick is:

Hot Water, Ginger Slices, fresh lemon juice and a dash of cayenne pepper.

This tea gets circulation going and the cayenne soothes the throat. You could also add a dab of non-pasturized honey as an anti-bacterial and throat soother.

Also just a plain Yarrow tea will help bring about a slight fever (which is your body fighting infection). Drink in the evening and stay cuddly warm - wear clothes to bed so you sweat. Shower in morning and you will feel much better.

HOpe that helps you and everyone!

What brand of juicer did you buy and how spendy are they?

I've been wanting to get one, but figure to do it right you need the super-industrial jobby. Tell me I'm wrong please!

After shopping around and comparing the various juicers, I bought an Omega 8003. It was $300+ tax, you could likely find them a bit cheaper.

It was either that or a Champion (both are masication juicers which I think is key), I opted for the Omega as I believe you can juice more leafy greens (wheatgrass, etc) than the Champion and it runs quieter, but they are both excellent high quality juicers with good warrantys etc.

One of the best purchases I've ever made, it's been 6 months and I've used it almost every morning, clean up is a breeze and the health benefits are through the roof. I started with fruit and veg juice but am getting more hardcore now juicing mostly leafy green veg, broccoli even - you're drinking life!

I don't question the nature of such delicious things!

Actually, the one I have works on a mastication process...similar to how we "chew" our food, this thing has a rotary blade (with teeth, not knife-like blender blades) that spins, pushes the juice to the bottom through a screen (and into my cup) and the rest gets squeezed out the front end...

That dude in the video re-juiced the pulp eh? interesting.

Non-mastication juicers - centrifugal - are marketed as being easier as you can just toss a whole apple or whatever it, but the juice is inferior as there is more air in the juice and it doesn't keep.

Barley Green has worked for me for years.

its a juice powder made from the leaves of young barley plants.

its made in California but shipped to CAlgary.

i got a bit concerned when I noticed it doesnt have a DIN number .

It seemed to work great for me for a long time and i haven't been taking it lately.I can't say i see a lot of difference by not taking it and its very expensive.

You do have to get it from a distributor also.

You could try it though.

I take all kinds of different vitamins now.

I hope something works for you.