Jambands.ca

Clemens Getting Clobbered in Congress

guigsy

Guest Low Roller

I never understood why Congress sticks their nose into professional sports. I'd like to think that it is up to the individual leagues to police doping if they wanted to.

Congress should have SO much more to deal with than baseball...maybe it's a distraction tactic used to divert attention from what the real problems are in the U.S.

Baseball does not suck, it's a fantastic game. The people involved in professional baseball suck.

You know what would be fun to watch: A Micheal Moore documentary on the seedy underbelly of MLB.

Baseball sucks.

He should do it - it would be fascinating.

As I may have mentioned before - I have played the game for most of my life, my meager career peaking at the cnadian college level. But because of this I have had the pleasure of knowing a few guys who have either been drafted and played in the minors, or gone on to scholarships with div 1 schools in the states.

Long before Canseco had his book out these guys would tell me about the amount of steroids in both the minors and the NCAA. LIke, were talking 80% of the players. This is HUGE. Thats a lot of guys, underage guys, pumping crap into their systems. It is undeniably unsafe and maybe congress needs to do this to keep it out of the non-pr levels where kids arent getting it from pro trainers.

Maybe its a bit of a naive point, but I think that maybe thats where congress is coming from.

From SI's Tom Verducci: "Finally. Elijah Cummings is the MVP of the hearing. Straightforward, with no grandstanding, Cummings stepped up and finally asked the most important question to Clemens: Why would McNamee tell the truth about Pettitte and Knoblauch but lie about Clemens, especially when Pettitte, by Clemens' own testimony a honest man, backed McNamee's story? Clemens whiffed. 'Congressman, I have no idea,' he said, before devolving into a rambling discourse on Pettitte's friendship with him. Cummings came back again. 'How do you explain that?' Clemens again stumbled, asking why Pettitte didn't tell him when he used HGH, which was not important to the question at hand. Finally, Cummings slammed the door on Clemens. 'It's hard to believe you, sir,' Cummings told Clemens. 'You're one of my heroes. But it's hard to believe you.'"

• 2 weeks later...

[color:blue]He should have just kept his mouth shut

WASHINGTON -- Congress asked the Justice Department to investigate whether Roger Clemens "committed perjury and made knowingly false statements" to a House committee.

House Oversight and Government Reform Committee chairman Henry Waxman and ranking Republican Tom Davis sent a letter to Attorney General Michael Mukasey on Wednesday. The two said Clemens' statements in a Feb. 5 sworn deposition and at a Feb. 13 public hearing "that he never used anabolic steroids or human growth hormone warrants further investigation."

"That testimony is directly contradicted by the sworn testimony of Brian McNamee, who testified that he personally injected Mr. Clemens with anabolic steroids and human growth hormone," the congressmen wrote.

"Mr. Clemens's testimony is also contradicted by the sworn deposition testimony and affidavit submitted to the committee by Andrew Pettitte, a former teammate of Mr. Clemens, whose testimony and affidavit reported that Mr. Clemens had admitted to him in 1999 or 2000 that he had taken human growth hormone."

A Justice Department spokesman told ABC News in response to receiving the letter, "We are reviewing the letter."

McNamee, Clemens' former personal trainer, has told federal prosecutors, baseball investigator George Mitchell and Congress that he injected the seven-time Cy Young Award winner more than a dozen times with human growth hormone and steroids from 1998 to 2001. Clemens repeatedly and vigorously denied the allegations.

It was Clemens' denials of McNamee's allegations in the Mitchell Report that drew Congress' attention.

The Feb. 13 hearing generally divided along party lines, with Democrats giving Clemens a rougher time, and Republicans reserving their toughest questions for McNamee.

But Waxman and Davis jointly appealed to the Justice Department.

"For the good of the investigation and integrity of the committee, we've asked the Department of Justice to get to the bottom of this," Davis said.

Davis was the chairman of the committee when it held its 2005 hearing with Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro.

Clemens' lead lawyer, Rusty Hardin, could not immediately be reached for comment after Waxman and Davis released their letter. But about 20 minutes earlier, when informed by The Associated Press that the criminal referral would be announced Wednesday, Hardin said: "It doesn't surprise me. We've always assumed there would be a referral if Roger testified differently from the Mitchell Report."