Jambands.ca

I just read

Baj

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey bokonon, I think we're the only 2 that read BOOKS on here.. ;)

And I think I know where you got your username.. I just finished reading Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s Cat's Cradle, and I loved it!

It was both hilarious and insightful..

Another kudos to my dad for giving me yet another amazing book from his collection.. I'm ready to start another book by Vonnegut: Wampeters Foma & Granfalloons!

Hey bokonon, I think we're the only 2 that read BOOKS on here.. ;)

And I think I know where you got your username.. I just finished reading Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s Cat's Cradle, and I loved it!

It was both hilarious and insightful..

Another kudos to my dad for giving me yet another amazing book from his collection.. I'm ready to start another book by Vonnegut: Wampeters Foma & Granfalloons!

I give you six months until you're an official member of the Humanists of Canada. ;)

The first time I read Vonnegut I was pretty young, (grade 8 maybe) and one of my teachers wanted to take my book away from me. I thought it was pretty funny given the fact that Vonnegut makes a lot of fun of book-burners.

Just finished Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons.. I enjoyed this one a lot! This was a collection of some of Vonnegut's short stories, speeches, reviews, interviews, etc..

I really like the way he writes, humor with a bit of sadness to it.. It's really unexplainable until you read his work..

bokonon, which of his other books would you recommend me to read next??

I am reading this for the first time ever and I find him repulsive because he is so critical of everything (people, their behaviour, movies, books etc) and then he immitates exactly the thing he was bitching about. Also, his first priority in life is alcohol. He puts it before his family, friends, school and even his own safety. I hate seeing people like that.

Have to say I am somewhat baffled by your interpretation (and find it interesting you made an sweeping generalization about American Lit's themes and styles without having read one of its most compelling authors/books).

One of the themes of the book is supposed to be the conflict between childhood lack of hypocrisy,adolescent rebelling against its presence in adults, and what the book conveys as an inexorable slide into as one gets older.

Holden's character is torn by the awareness of becoming/being hypocritical...and his hatred of it.

Alcohol? Um...ever known any teenagers?

Women? Why? They may be a trifle quaint..but the book was written in the 50's.They are hardly anti feminist.

I prefer Franny and Zooey (I loved it when I was a teen and still do) and Teddy is one of my all time favorite short stories.

Have to say I am somewhat baffled by your interpretation (and find it interesting you made an sweeping generalization about American Lit's themes and styles without having read one of its most compelling authors/books).

One of the themes of the book is supposed to be the conflict between childhood lack of hypocrisy,adolescent rebelling against its presence in adults, and what the book conveys as an inexorable slide into as one gets older.

Holden's character is torn by the awareness of becoming/being hypocritical...and his hatred of it.

Alcohol? Um...ever known any teenagers?

Women? Why? They may be a trifle quaint..but the book was written in the 50's.They are hardly anti feminist.

I prefer Franny and Zooey (I loved it when I was a teen and still do) and Teddy is one of my all time favorite short stories.

Actually, I do feel qualified to make a sweeping generalization of American lit. I've read a ton of it, not only for my own enjoyment but also for school and various jobs (library, book store). Obviously I have not read every book America has produced, nor do I claim to, but there is an undoubtably noticeable style to American literature.

Holden Caulfield is an incredible hypocrite with no sense of values and no respect for other people. He repulses me.

The only sweeping generalization to be made about American Literature is that it's American.

There is not " an undoubtably noticeable style " to Am.Lit as a whole..time periods or literary movements...yes.Perhaps that is what you are really getting at?

bradm..I agree to a point.It gets a bit nauseating the whole over examined life bit.Partly because we are inundated with that genre now.But I still think Catcher itself is a worthy classic...it says something.Not a nice or uplifting something..but real.

I never said the book was unworthy of being a classic. I said Holden Caulfield is a repulsive character.

And I disagree that there are only certain identifiable styles among the literary movements. I think there are underlying traits and themes that cross the boundaries of the movements and are present in the majority of literature produced in the USA that make the writing quintessentially American.

I never said the book was unworthy of being a classic. I said Holden Caulfield is a repulsive character.

I figure that the ability of an author to make the reader feel very strongly (either good or bad) about a character is the sign of a very well-written novel. Personally, I can think of few literary characters I would be more eager to strangle than Holden Caulfield. He's a complete twerp.

Thanks for your suggestions, hamilton and bokonon! I'll definitely have to check those out! I really enjoyed the other two by him..

And just because it's springtime, the flowers are in bloom, and I'm feeling quite dreamy, I just finished reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass.. (for about the 50th time in my life! Ha..)

These stories never get old to me, and I love letting my imagination run wild while reading these stories..

Anyone else love these adventures as much as me??

Wonderland is REAL! ;)

alice_lg.jpg

Edited by Guest

And I disagree that there are only certain identifiable styles among the literary movements.

This sentence makes no sense to me.What I said was that styles are identifiable within literary movements..but not identifiable to American Lit as a huge category.

I think there are underlying traits and themes that cross the boundaries of the movements and are present in the majority of literature produced in the USA that make the writing quintessentially American.

True d'at.There are themes that can be identified with American Lit as a whole..which is why I said I agreed if this is what you were getting at (in contrast to what your written words intimated).

Styles and themes being different things in my world,this side of the looking glass.

Re-read "Cry, the Beloved Country" this week.Love this book.