Jambands.ca

I just read

Baj

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure that the ability of an author to make the reader feel very strongly (either good or bad) about a character is the sign of a very well-written novel. Personally, I can think of few literary characters I would be more eager to strangle than Holden Caulfield. He's a complete twerp.

Well put my friend. Holden Caulfield is one of the most effective characters in literature. Whether, it be American or Non.

Bye Da Bye, wareds dem udder otters like Aldous Huxley, ind George Orwell n dis tread?

I just finished an easy read called Eat, Pray, Love. It was the best book I've picked up at an airport in a while. Chic-lit, but guys should enjoy it as well.

jennifer is just finishing it, it's coming to me highly reccommended. we heard the author on tapstry on the cbc last fall and she seemed very cool.

"the best book that i've picked up at the airport in a while" isn't really a ringing edorsement :)

I've actually picked up a few good one on my airport travels. Usually it's just best-sellers, which I'm not always in to. I got turned on to Haruki Muarakami by buying a book at the airport and I've since read a few by him. The airport book stores aren't all bad

I'm glad I'm not the only one on here that reads Ayn Rand. (how do you pronounce her first name? I say it like Ann.) Atlas Shrugged I've read twice. Each time it took me more than four months. I have to take it in tiny little bites and chew over her ideas for quite a while. I think I've combined her ideals with my own sugary, hippie-dippy shit. I like to think that she is basically saying we have a responsibility to be the best person we could possibly be and that is the optimal way to improve the world. I kind of glaze over the ruthlessness of her philosophy.

I think I've combined her ideals with my own sugary, hippie-dippy shit.

Hahah!

I'm a Rand fan too... and while she was a little ruthless, that chick was onto something. It's a mean world out there and the only way it can ever get better is to better our individual selves. I really believe people who don't agree with her on that one are fucking off their rocker and feel sorry for those who can't get beyond the ruthlessness to see the wisdom of her ways.

I'm on a big nobel peace prize winner, read all about 'em kick right now and just finished Wangaari Mathai's "Unbowed: a Memoir" - all about the building of the Greenbelt Movement in Kenya, where she put thousands of women to work replanting the country's lost forests... and in doing so created a national movement for democracy. That woman is just plain unbelievably awesome.

Now i'm on to Desmond Tutu's "No Future without Forgiveness", his story of his time as the chair of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa post-apartheid. Should be a goodie!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...