www.leespalace.com

529 Bloor St. W. (at Bathurst St)

‘GALACTIC’ @ 10:30 Featuring Boots Riley Of The Coup

and Special Guest 'Salvador Santana Band' @ 9:00

$21.50 adv @ Ticketmaster, Rotate This & Soundscapes presented by LIVE NATION

BUY TICKETS ONLINE

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/1000404593CC493C

GALACTIC

Originally formed in 1994 as an octet (under the name Galactic Prophylactic) and including singer Chris Lane and guitarist Rob Gowen, the group was soon pared down to an instrumental sextet of: guitarist Jeff Raines, bassist Robert Mercurio, drummer Stanton Moore, saxophonist Ben Ellman and Hammond organist Rich Vogel, later adding Theryl DeClouet on vocals.

The group was started when Raines and Mercurio, childhood friends from the Washington D.C. area, moved to New Orleans together to attend college at Tulane and Loyola Universities, and became enamored of the local funk scene, populated by such legendary acts as The Meters and Dirty Dozen Brass Band and inspired by local legends such as Professor Longhair. There they teamed with noted New Orleans drummer Stanton Moore, saxophonist/harmonica (now producer) Ben Ellman, and Rich Vogel. In 2004, the band parted ways with vocalist DeClouet, and now continue as an instrumental group. They have been releasing ground breaking albums consistently since 1996. The lasted album includes a who's who's of underground MC's called From the Corner to the Block (anti)

Galactic's next album is set to include guest appearances from rappers including Lyrics Born (an MC and producer from the Quannum Projects hip hop collective). According to Lyrics Born's Web site, the guest artist line-up featuring MCs, DJs, and vocalists has already been determined, but it is being kept secret for the time being. However, Ben Ellman has said that all of the guest MCs at their Bonnaroo performance (Lyrics Born, Gift of Gab, Chali 2na, Lateef, and Boots Riley) will be featured on the album.

Galactic's most recent album, From the Corner to the Block was released on August 21st, 2007. Lyrics Born's Myspace page has stated that "In addition to LB, this record features an array of today's most innovative MC's, including The Coup's Boots Riley, Digable Planets' Ladybug Mecca, Juvenile, Jurassic 5's Chali 2na, Mr. Lif, Lateef the Truth Speaker and Gift of Gab from Blackalicious and more. The new album will also feature unique collaborative efforts with New Orleans artists Big Chief Monk Boudreaux, Soul Rebels Brass Band and Trombone Shorty."

http://www.nufunk.ca/

Edited by Guest

Right on I’m going to try and make this. Been a long time

since i've seen Galactic. Wicked! Hey Jay, when did you

start working for Live Nation? I noticed you’ve been hyping

their shows lately. Good for you. Hopefully see you there.

Love your avatar!

Chrs

CD Release Party!

Who's CD releae party? Galactic doesn't have a new CD so I'm assuming the opener' date=' which doesn't quite make sense to me?

[/quote']

the poster makes it look like there is a new cd, but the tour is the "From the corner to the block tour".

Year-long CD-release party? :)