Jambands.ca

Tapes

Patchoulia

I've got mine but I'm sort of a collector. I've got 33s, 45s, 78s, cassettes, 8-tracks, CDs, MP3s, and reel-to-reel and all the devices to play them (hooked up too). I've also got a bunch of old video stuff: 8mm, Super-8, VHS, etc.

I just like old shit. I've got a kick-ass 150baud acoustic-coupler MODEM that's actually in a teak case. Funny.

Before I moved a couple years back I gave away some number of cds that must have been in the thousands...I have them all backed up on other discs but these were the audio ones. Ive moved about half of the archive to hard drive.

Giving away those cds was pretty fun! We were having a bbq and after everyone got a little drink on I brought out the giant bin they were stored in. Most of them went to some of Chatham's finest and I'm hoping they're floating around there some where...fuck I sent a lot of cds to Chatham over the years!

I just got a Roku Soundbridge linking my stereo to my computer wirelessly and have now gone 95% "without hard copy", the exception being the mp3 loaded disks I make for my car. I do have a few old tapes with Maritime music on them, but don't really have any way to play them anymore.

I miss break dancing to my old rap tapes in the ghetto blaster though.

::note to self:: you're too old to break dance, don't even try it. You'll be in pain.

I work with teenagers and one of my guys is taking a French class by correspondence that includes a cassette tape. I asked him to set up the tape while I left the room for a bit. I came back to find him pulling out the ribbon and trying to weave it into the tape player. This fifteen year old has no idea how to work a tape - now that made me feel old!

I have a tape player in my car and still have a pile of tapes. I used to jog with a walkman up until recently because the batteries would last way longer than in a discman.

i've secretly replaced all of the music on my brother's tapes with fart noises over the last 10 years.

Brother, I popped every single tab before I ever hit play. Every tab.

And I always hid all my masking tape. You probably taped over your own collection. Which you ironically got from me.

Ooooooooooh waaaaaaait! I get it!

i too have a pretty extensive collection of old dead tapes, and have pondered this question myself. i have most of everything i want on my hardrive (thank you archive.org!!) and ipod, so it's not like i'm pulling out my old ghetto blaster and listening to them. i worry though about harddrive failure. those of you who have gone that route, do you back all that up? doubtful. maybe i'm just trying to justify my own refusal to give up the remnants of my glory days on tour but i think it's comforting to have hard copies. besides that, certain tapes have certain memories attached to them. they have stories attached. meyabe you taped it yourself,maybe it was a show you were at and it has the stub in it, or you remember the sweet sister who traded you that tape and a heady corduroy tam (still have that too! 8) for a couple jays of mendocino kgb and a hug... well i guess that's why i hang on to mine anyway.