Jambands.ca

Roll Call: My Morning Jacket Toronto

Basher

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ear plugs are a must. get custom ones done for $120 and enjoy music from anywhere in the venue. they let in enough to still hear everything well, and protect.

in toronto, I got mine at the Musicians Clinic on college at augusta. dudes name was marshall chasin who hooked me up.

nevermind...found the setlist...which confirmed my suspicion that it (montreal) was the same show as last month almost exactly. which is probably why i was so bored.

2008-03-31 The Berkley Church - Toronto, ON PDF Print

1. Evil Urges

2. Off The Record

3. What A Wonderful Man

4. Gideon

5. I'm Amazed

6. Thank You Too!

7. Golden

8. Sec Walkin

9. Lowdown

10. Wordless Chorus

11. Highly Suspicious

12. Lay Low

13. Smokin From Shootin

14. Touch Me I'm going To Scream Pt.2

-----

15. Librarian

16. Dondante

17. One Big Holiday

18. Anytime

To my eye there are lots of differences in the setlists from Berkeley to Montreal. Sucks you were bored though.

My Morning Jacket

June 17th, 2008

Le National, Montreal, Quebec

1. Intro

2. Evil Urges

3. Off the Record

4. Gideon

5. I'm Amazed

6. Highly Suspicious

7. Lay Low

8. Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 1

9. What A Wonderful Man

10. Sec Walkin'

11. Golden

12. Thank you too

13. The way that he sings

14. Remnants

15. Smokin' From Shootin'

16. Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2

ENCORE

1. Wordless Chorus

2. It Beats 4 U

3. Dondante

4. Run Thru

5. Anytime

6. One Big Holiday

4 songs different (well extra really) out of 20 is not lots to me :) during the show as they played each song i remembered it being the same show...i mean look at the first half of the set especially, same same. the only song that was not repeated was libriarian, looks like to me. maybe they just don't have enough songs yet.

i guess i've just had my fill of MMJ.

Edited by Guest

maybe they just don't have enough songs yet.

They have enough songs that's for damn sure. They don't have a bad album out of 5 released so far. Jim James is one of the most prolific and exciting songwriters of his generation. I think if you don't know the earlier three MMJ albums (and a few of the EPs) - full of a wide variety of great songs that they've played throughout their first 5 or 6 years of their career - then it's unfair to brush off this new album and support tour as "that's all there is".

They do switch it up, but I'm also frustrated that Jim basically ignores playing stuff from the first two albums when he's fronting MMJ (like the last two tours including this current one) - he does do lots of early album dipping when he does solo acoustic mini-tours and shows. I think part of the reasoning for ignoring the early stuff is that Jim is on record for not wanting to look back and doesn't like being pidgeonholed. One thing to look for as the tour stretches onwards is to see what gets dropped and what gets added. I think that their "Evening With" shows will be incredible and really long and inclusive.

I still think that the It Still Moves touring era was MMJ at my favourite - they played the new stuff but didn't ignore the past either.

i still liked the show...i was grumpy this morning. hehe

i mistakenly assumed that many more songs would be in the rotation, but i shouldn't have assumed so really...

or it could be coincidence that the 2 nights i saw were similar.

it was nice though to have plenty of space in the venue, unlike last time!!

the solo stuff sounds interesting.

they have 4 albums worth plus their b-sides and the covers that they can and do bust out,

it boggles the mind..

the point is that they are touring in support of their latest album.. and youve seen them twice on that supporting tour.. why are you surprised that they played basically the same show??

they have 4 albums worth plus their b-sides and the covers that they can and do bust out' date='

it boggles the mind..

the point is that they are touring in support of their latest album.. and youve seen them twice on that supporting tour.. why are you surprised that they played basically the same show??

[/quote']

not sure what boggles your mind (or why anybody cares so much about this)

are you saying that 4 albums is a lot? i don't think it is. most bands i like have tens of albums.

i didn't know that the show a month or so ago was part of this tour (it wasn't as far as i know). don't worry about it. but yeah, i guess the fact that everyone always raves about their live shows made me mistakenly assume they were more jam oriented, when they aren't. i'm ok with it.

You are right phorbesie, MMJ are not a jam band, but they incorporate elements of jam mentality into their overall approach. Some nights are outright crazy, but Jim James is on record as loving differing daily concert nights - and I believe that's why the "Evening With..." shows are different than the Montreal and Toronto gigs.

Here's the set list from their Radio City Music Hall show last night:

1. Evil Urges

2. Off The Record

3. I'm Amazed

4. Highly Suspicious

5. What a Wonderful Man

6. Touch Me I'm Going to Scream (Part 1)

7. Sec Walkin

8. Golden

9. Thank You Too

10. The Way That He Sings

11. Two Halves

12. Phone Went West

13. Aluminum Park

14. Steam Engine >

15. Smokin From Shootin >

16. Touch Me I'm Going to Scream (Part 2)

-----

17. Bermuda Highway

18. Librarian

19. Wordless Chorus

20. It Beats 4 U

21. Dondante

22. The Bear

23. Lay Low

24. Run Thru

25. Anytime

26. One Big Holiday

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/14295/My-Morning-Jacket-06.20.08-NYC