Jambands.ca

Quebec City

Ms.Huxtable

Ollie and I might go there the first week of August, if we can find an affordable place within walking distance of the old city.

I've been there so many times and I love it everytime.

Go for a drink at the lounge bar of the Chateau Frontenac...where many of our prime ministers did the same.

Just walk around and take it all in...one of my favorite walks was late at night when it was really quiet, and I saw a cat and we followed him up some old steps where we found yet more lanes to discover.

Best dinner I had there was at L'Échaudé (can't find a web site for it). I've never really tried that many fancy places there because we're always with a group of people when we go. But that place was really nice.

Place to stay: When I was young and I'd go with my family, I'd stay at my aunt's convent...not recommended! ;)

The past few times, we stayed at Hotel Bonsejours and Hotel Belley and also Loews Concorde which your dad and wife would probably enjoy the most, typical big hotel, but probably pricey right now.

You have to go to l'île d'Orléans, a 20 minute drive, and on the way, you'll see the Montmorency Falls. L'île d'Orléans is pretty much farmland and inns and restaurants. Takes 1 hour to drive around and it's wonderful! We had a great meal there at le Moulin du St-Laurent.

Ollie just reminded me that we also had a great breakfest at Café du monde, near the St-Lawrence waterfront. Man, yeah, it was good.

The reason I want to go this year is to see the Robert Lepage film projected on grain elevators, showing the history of Québec. It's on until August 24th. Image Mill

Anyway, if I think of anything else, I'll let you know! My boss' boyfriend lives there right now, so I'll ask her.

I haven't been in a few years but we always used to eat at this old creperie. It is a funky little place not far from the Chateau. Kind of a laid back vibe and not too expensive, considering it is in the heart of a tourist area.

They often have folk singers in the evening. Good for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.

It might be called Casse Crepe Breton.

Le Massif is great. Schwa - there's a dude that runs a rental housing business called hebergement-charlevoix and you can get really nice accomodation right near the hill for super super cheap. Same goes for summer, but you'd be a bit north of Quebec City.

Last winter, the weekend of the giant storm, we went to Le Massif and Ste-Anne. It was epic. Le Massif is my new favourite hill (in the east). Amazing runs and not crowded at all. Killer view.

Baie St Paul (the town just north of Le Massif) is a really nice little town, great restaurants, scenic) - touristy but still quebecois.

wicked AD, i was hoping for a cheap accommodation hook up in there too! i've never been, but the views on the interwebs are breathtaking for sure and another person i spoke to said there was always great powder there.

Really looking forward to it :)

Two suggestions for drinks and 1 for a hotel...

My favourite pub in Old Quebec/Old Port (especially in the winter as it has a wood burning fireplace) is called Pub de L'Oncle Antoine (also known as La Troubadour)... Think the Manx in feel, but the entire pub is carved out of stone as its set in the cellar of an old furrier built in the 1700s... In the summer they have a small terrace outside with a few tables...

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/canada/quebec-city/entertainment/1000215104?list=true

Second is a cafe located outside the walls of Old Quebec but walkable, called Le Hobbit... locals working in Old Quebec recommended it as a local hangout over the more touristy places of Old Quebec and it was good to get away from the tourists...

and for a Hotel I'd recommend Hotel 71.

http://www.hotel71.ca

Old building but modern style... very nice.

I also have no complaints with Le Priori, and we are trying Port Royal Suites at the end of the month, but Hotel 71 was my favourite...