Jambands.ca

Ottawa Folk Festival

Big Wooly Mammoth

NorthernWish you made my summer 2008.

Words will never, and I repeat never, express my gratitude but hopefully I can fall across some avenue whereby you will understand. And thanks to Douglas as well for facilitating the final process. You both rock, babies.

Jerry 'motherfuckin' Douglas. Youch.

335_booche_and_jerry_douglas.jpg

890_jerry_douglas.jpg

567_howaboutthatphillesh.jpg

I attended quite a few shows and workshops.

So on Fri night I had to catch the awesome Dala girls. Followed by a great set by Broken Social Scene. I filmed the first 35ish minutes but then battery died, all while rolling audio too, so my audio recording continued. However, near the end of the show I had to get a move on so the sound gets progressively worse.

Saturday was a great morning, with the Sadies bros jamming at the Tree Stage, missed first 10/15minutes but taped rest.

Then onto the Beach Stage with the "Cheesey" songs, which was all around just a funny workshop.

Finally moved to Hill Stage to catch Dala girls again with Doug Cox.

Then Saturday night I caught (and taped) the Sadies show, which was probably the most energetic and fun show of the festival. Just all out nuts on the dance floor.

Sunday morning I missed the majority of '20 Something' workshop which had Dala and Spiral Beach together. Aeril and Maddy did an awesome Animal Collective cover as well as part of Radiohead's 2+2=5. Which we chatted about Radiohead for quite some time after. (Lots of performers, who are from Toronto area, were bummed that they missed Fri night show @ Molson).

Then onto Hill Stage again for Dala and Radoslav Lorkovic.

I wantd to come back to catch Spiral Beach's full electric set at Dance tent, but I ended up taking a nap at home and missed it, haha.

It was my first time at the festival and it was way beyond my expectations. Had a lot of fun.

BSS 8.15.08

Pacific

7/4 Shoreline

Fire Eyed

Hit a Wall

Love is New

Broke Me Up

Anthems of a 17 Year Old

Frightening Lives

Break

Super

Jerry Douglas 8.15.08

Unfolding

Rumpus

Hide and Seek

Emphysema Two Steps

A Remark you Made

Cavebop

Marriage Made in Hollywood

Choctaw Hayride

Patrick Meets the Brickbats

Sir Aly B

Sadies/ BSS Session 8.16.08

Anyone Else?

Astronomy Domine

Looks Just Like the Sun

National Anthem of Nowhere

Heart of Wood

Poor Little Dutch Boy

Morning Decisions

Everybody Knows this is Nowhere

Sarah Harmer 8.16.08

Silver Road

Pendulums

The Ring

Oleander

Late Bloomer

Uniform Grey

Hideout

Almost

One Match

I Am Aglow

Escarpment Blues

Dandelions

City

Lodestar

Edited by Guest
Added Sadies/ BSS info

Highlights:

All 6 sets I saw the D Rangers play this weekend, including a hot hour last night at the Black Sheep in for the FFest Wrap Party.

The cool Tree Stage set featuring all of the Sadies, plus Charles Leon Andrew and Justin of BSS.

I got a dedication from Dallas before one of their songs on Saturday night, before heading to the crew/ band hotel and listening to Sadies, DRangers and Spiral Beach jam acoustic in the hotel bar and out on the patio.

Introducing Dinghy to the Sadies guys and just watching him glow. And of course being involved in Booche getting his "Phil Lesh" autograph and pic w. Jerry.

Donna the Buffalo on Sunday afternoon was pretty impressive and I enjoyed it more than most of Sunday.

Watching Rufus Wainwright and Odetta from side stage, it just felt cool to be the close by presence of such big names. And Rufus screwing up Halleyujah reminded me that all performers no matter how pro, are still human.

Tear down of the main stage while the sun came up on Britannia Park on Monday morning on a deserted site with a freshly tapped keg of Grasshopper ale was my grande finale...... I got wasted and ended up passing out on the bus on my way home waking up waaayyyy past where I had to go.

All in all it was the best fest I have been involved in as I got to see the behind the scenes stuff, help/ chat with and actually hang out with artists, ate and drank for free and may have even made enough inroads to start doing this stuff for an actual living!

S

Very very good. The sound was outstanding, maybe the best sound they've ever had while I was in attendance..... Friday aft while hanging out with Angus, Charles and Andrew- they all loved the site and crowd so much they called the rest of the guys at the hotel and called them down to the site.

I think I spent at least 3 or 4 hours with them, taking care of their requests, hanging in the van and at the hotel. And not once did I feel like I was hanging out with anything other than normal peeps- totally down to earth and wonderfully thankful. Not sure what I was expecting, but not that.

I did miss a bit while checking out the portion of the BG jam with Jerry until he had to go- but that list is complete with the exception of a solo Amy tune to close the set that I don't know the name of.

Amy btw was uber cool and nice; she even came back on Saturday morning to hang out with Kevin during the Sadies BSS session and was most gracious and thankful for everything FFest had done for them (ie. ME!).

S