Jambands.ca

backyard bounty

phishtaper

As a vegetarian household, we have a massive garden on the go right now. You name it, we are probably growing and canning it. Favorite canned recipes made from our garden thus far are zucchini relish, salsa, and bread and butter pickles. Favorite lunch from the garden was bbq’d eggplant, zucchini, red and green peppers on a toasted focaccia with a slice of provolone cheese and a side spinach salad. The borscht was pretty killer too – too bad the dear made off with the rest of our beets!

I can’t wait for butternut squash soup. Our tomatoes are finally starting to ripen too. We’ll be super busy canning sauces and cherry tomatoes this week.

As a vegetarian household, we have a massive garden on the go right now. You name it, we are probably growing and canning it. Favorite canned recipes made from our garden thus far are zucchini relish, salsa, and bread and butter pickles. Favorite lunch from the garden was bbq’d eggplant, zucchini, red and green peppers on a toasted focaccia with a slice of provolone cheese and a side spinach salad. The borscht was pretty killer too – too bad the dear made off with the rest of our beets!

I can’t wait for butternut squash soup. Our tomatoes are finally starting to ripen too. We’ll be super busy canning sauces and cherry tomatoes this week.

try combining white beets with potatoes when making mashed potatoes. It's a welcome and fantastic addition. I think ms.hux invented it.

White beets! Wow, I didn't even know there were white beets. I'll have to try growing them next year. Do they have the same flavour? We only managed to harvest half of our beets before the deer got to them. They love beet greens.

Last night we had a veggy speghetti. All the veg for the sauce were from the garden. We were even able to use our first speghetti squash. I'm loving the garden!

Hey hey dude! Hello to the family!

I tried growing eggplant one year and it didn't work at all! There was 1 purple flower and that's that. So you managed to grow some?

We tried last year but we planted them to close to the zucchini plants (rookie mistake). The garden is better organized this year and we have six plants. Each is producing well. The rainy weather this year did wonders too.

• 2 weeks later...
you can't can tomatoes that you picked from a frost-killed vine. we picked all of ours and are letting them ripen.

Whoa - Good to know. We picked a bunch of the tomatoes and covered the rest. The frost was so heavy that it managed to damage the vines/wilt the leaves despite being covered. Looks like we'll be mostly freezing tomatoes/ tomato juice this year.