Jambands.ca

Best Restaurant in Ottawa

rubberdinghy

What he said re:Caribbean Flavours. But I've mostly felt the wait was worth it.

I am still loving Fraser Cafe and Murray Street right now...neither is particularly fine dining but both are absolutely great.

Not sure how Whalesbone is doing these days now that the buzz has died down since Stephen Vardy's departure. It seemed for a while like the buzz was validated by great food and service though

Holy sheepshit batman!!!!

That was fuggin delicious!!!!

I had...

French Onion Soup.

Caesar Salad, made right at the table.

Hy's Own New York Strip with Hy's Own Steak Sauce.

Steph had

Garlic Sauteed Shrimp

Beefsteak Tomato Onion Blue Cheese Salad

Cajun Rib Steak.

Split a bottle of Hy's House Red...(cheapest on the menu ;) )

We couldn't even fathom having dessert but whenever I see Banana's Foster on the menu...

Anyhoo...

The French Onion Soup was just that. It was rich and delicious, one problem...our waiter decided to make my Caesar Salad as I was eating it. Felt a little bit rushed, so I finished up, only to wait another 5 minutes to have our salads served. He kept on forgetting to get me a clean plate, and as he walked to and from the kitchen about 3 times without the plate stopped at other tables, dealing with them. I was dissappointed about that. The wait was worth it though. Caesar Salad that way is the only way to eat it.

Wasn't a big fan of Stephie's salad...don't like the sweet tartness of blue cheese. BLECH!

Steph's shrimps were HUGE! biggest ones I had ever seen. According to the menu, they were supposed to be garlic sauteed. Sure they might have been, but they were also drenched in some sort of tarragon cream sauce. Unfortunately not a fan of tarragon.

The steaks.

Jesus, delicous!!!!!

Steph's was cooked a perfect medium rare, and I just love the fattiness of rib steaks. (Good thing she doesn't, I got to eat most of it) MMMMM gristle!

My New York Strip was one of the thickest I've ever seen!!! I was a little dissappointed at the overdoneness of mine...not as bloody as a typical medium rare. Considering the thick cut, I thought it would be better, however it was still melt in the mouth deliciousness.

Not usually a fan of steak sauce on a steak, but man, their sauce put A1 to shame...almost as thick as a nice tomato sauce for a pasta dish.

Anyhow, that's it! It was definately worth the two bills we spent!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you had a good time, but objectively speaking a steakhouse not getting you your medium-rare and serving a tableside Caesar while you're on your first course and the wrong sauce for your shrimp...at that pricetag?

I guess what I'm asking is would you go back again?