Jambands.ca

MLS - Ottawa

Tissue Man

Ya know what would be awesome?

If Ottawa could get its shit together and build a decent sports complex, coupled with top-notch public transit.

I saw an interesting commentary in the newspaper last weekend. The writer suggested that the general public would be more accepting of a new football stadium at Lansdowne Park if it were called something other than a "park".

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a city having both an indoor arena and an outdoor stadium side-by-side

Aloha' date='

Brad[/quote']

Philadelphia has a football stadium, a baseball stadium, and 2 hockey arenas all side-by-each, although one of the hockey arenas (The fabled Spectrum) will be demolished soon.

The Spectrum is actually downtown - on Broad Street. The other facilities are near the airport.

The Spectrum is actually downtown - on Broad Street. The other facilities are near the airport.

You don't know what you're talking about.

All of the facilities are on Broad Street, and fairly close to the airport.

This isn't downtown.

Check it out on google maps:

broad & pattison philadelphia pa

The satellite version of the map is really cool!

That was 12 years ago pops. You need permits to park on those streets now. And AD, my earlier point was that Ollie's parking comment is naive and close-minded.

I am guessing that Melnyck prefers to build the stadium out in Kanata (aside from the steal of a deal he will get) is that it gives him a better shot of drawing from a larger fan base. He seems like a pretty smart dude and has probably done a fair share of market research.

Please dont ask for my suggestions because I see some of the pros/cons with both locations and I honestly dont know which one is best for an MLS team to succeed here. Personally, I would prefer something built at Lansdowne because it's easier for me to get to and I dont have to drive.

You need permits to park on those streets now.

I am guessing that Melnyck prefers to build the stadium out in Kanata (aside from the steal of a deal he will get) is that it gives him a better shot of drawing from a larger fan base. He seems like a pretty smart dude and has probably done a fair share of market research.

Melnyk's putting it out in Kanata so he doesn't have to build parking infrastructure. not to mention cheap land like you say.

You need permits to park on those streets now? When I lived in the Glebe we didn't need permits to park on the street during events at Lansdowne. Is that what they do now? holy bureaucracy.

You need permits to park on those streets now?

My brother in law took us down there at the end of August and couldnt find a spot because it had 'permit only' signs on a number of streets. People were offering to park in their driveways or lawns for 20$.

Perhaps that was just because of the Ex?

That was 12 years ago pops. You need permits to park on those streets now. And AD, my earlier point was that Ollie's parking comment is naive and close-minded.

Not at all. My point is there are better alternatives to the parking situation downtown. I'd rather take a 30 minute hike to my car after a game than SIT in it trying to get out of a Stadium parking lost.

There's no "aside from the steal of a deal". That's why he's doing it. It doesn't make sense though because he'll never attract 30K out there.