Jambands.ca

Thanksgiving dinner for one?

bradm

Do you know hard it is to find a 2-pound turkey?

It looks like I'll be cooking for myself this Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any suggestions for good one-person dishes (with maybe one or two plates of leftovers, at most)?

Turkey, even turkey pieces, is probably out, so I'm thinking of going with chicken, maybe a breast, done cordon bleu style, with potatoes and green beans on the side (and a nice white wine). (I'm not big on most forms of dessert, so that's not an issue.) Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Aloha,

Brad

Duck isn't that easy to find in stores and I don't think Brad is a hunter, unless he can use a phaser-rifle, plus duck ain't everyone's cup of tea. I was weaned on duck (mostly mallard, teal and various kinds of puddle ducks) growing up and I still don't like it. I prefer goose.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The phaser rifle's in the shop, so duck is out. I also discovered this morning that shopping for turkey pieces on Thanksgiving Sunday is similar to shopping for Hallowe'en candy on the evening for October 31st: forget it.

I did, however, find some "traditionally raised" (grain-fed, no antibiotics, etc.) centre-cut pork loin chops*, which are reasonably thick, and might be good candidates for some kind of ersatz cordon bleu thing: I'm planning on cutting a horizontal pocket in one of them (I'll freeze the other, probably for next weekend), stuffing it with ham and Jarlsberg cheese, coating with flour/egg/breadcrumbs, and then shallow-frying it, with squash and potatoes done in the toaster oven. Accompanying this will be the contents of a bottle of

iOurWinesChardonnay.jpg

Wish me luck, everybody.

Aloha,

Brad

* They were also marked down from $5.73 for the two of them to $0.99. I can almost see the smiles on the faces of my frugal ancestors. :)

post pics!

You wouldn't want to see them. :( (I screwed up cutting the pocket into the chop, overcooked one side, undercooked the other, and didn't let the potatoes cook for long enough. The squash and chardonnay weren't bad.)

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Added quote.

• 2 weeks later...

For future reference, one of my fave 1-person T-Giving mains is stuff baked squash. Yeah yeah, veg shit. Take an acorn squash halved and cleaned, rub with garlic and butter, stuff with your fave variety of thanksgiving stuffing (I like cranberry) and bake in the oven wrapped in tinfoil for about 25 mins. Then uncover and give it a few more to let the top get a bit crispy.

Yummy and good for 2 meals.