Jambands.ca

my new favourite flickr gallery - tacos!

bouche

• 1 month later...

00166564501.jpg

Driving down pico blvd during lunch hour I decided I'd grab a few tacos from the King Taco on Pico and Alvarado. But out of the corner of my eye I saw a sign read "El Parian" and remembered all the praise it had recieved and how much I had read about it. Change of plans, King Taco can wait it's El Parian time.

From the outside it looked divey: smoke stains on the wall, remnants of graffiti, and bars on the windows and door. Could this be the El Parian I had heard so much about? I opened the door and walked in. The inside no less divey but comforting. There were quite a few patrons seated and a friendly hispanic woman greeted me at the counter with a smile. "hola....tres tacos asada...para llavar" I said after a quick glance of the menu.

The cook heard me and I watched as he took a thick slice of raw meat and splashed it on the hot grill. Shhhhhhaaa!!! What a heavenly sound.

A few feet away a lady formed masa into discs to be pressed in a tortilla maker and then tossed the tortillas on to the grill.

When I got back to work I opened the tin foil that my tacos were wrapped in and stared in awe as the thick juicy cuts of carne asada looked back at me.

I was expecting small diced up bits of meat but what I had before me was thick strips of juicy meat naked on top of fresh soft tortillas. You could almost taste the grill on the thick charred meat and the flavor was unmatched by any carne asada I have had before . Simply put this is the best carne asada in the history of mankind. With meat this good all you need is some fresh pico de gallo to compliment it

There's nothing left to say my friends, get down to El Parian ASAP and try the carne asada.

5/5

El Parian is at 1528 Pico Blvd. Tacos are $2.25 each(and worth every penny)

When the sun goes down the streets of East LA come alive with taco activity. Outlaw taco carts set up on the sidewalks in front of auto shops,parks and discos and grill everything from carne asada to chorizo to al pastor. I found one such taco cart at 3889 E Cesar Chavez Blvd(corner of gage and cesar chavez)and rubbed elbows with all walks up life from businessmen in suits, to gents in cowboy hats and youths in baggy shirts and attitudes.

Al pastor was the star of this outlaw taco cart(as it is with most). A hunk of glazed pork on a spit twisted in front of a fire while the cook cut slices of pork from the spit on to the grill. The pork sizzled next to grilled onions and the magic began. Two soft corn tortillas soaked up the pork grease as the cook scooped the sizzled charred al pastor and carmalized onions into the taco and on to the plate.

I attempted to take a photo of the al pastor spit and other meats that were grilling but the women collecting the money looked at me and motioned not to do so. This is understandable considering these taco carts are illegal and probably violate every health code known to man. That's not saying any of the fare isn't fresh,it most likely is as fresh as your average daylight taco truck or more so.

I drizzled some salsa and onions and cilantro on my tacos and after the first bite I'm taken to a place I've never been before. The taste of the charred pork and carmalized onions and the sweet bite of the salsa is not one I've had . I've had my share of al pastor but this al pastor was on another plane. It was amazing.

This is what this taco hunt has been about. Finding these taco havens and becoming a more savvy taco eater in the process. Sometimes the city moves so fast that we need these occasions to soak in the night and slow it down with a plate of tacos on the sidewalk with the sound of salsa music blaring out of a nearby disco.

This is why Los Angeles is a taco town.

5/5

3889 E Cesar Chavez Blvd 90033. Tacos $1 each

• 1 month later...
anyone want to go on a taco pilgrimage?

doing that right now brother. i´m on day seven of the Mexico excursion and the food just keeps getting better. i´ll post picks for you when i get back to Canada. in April or May ...

you dirty asshole! I'm so goddamn jealous. Bring me back some hot sauce ;)

• 2 weeks later...

San Cristobal de las Casas, in Chiapas state in the south of Mexico has great, great food. Among the local specialties are little tasty treats called chalupas. While not quite tacos, they are close enough to be included in this thread.

I had my first taste of pork in 19 years last night to try them. I was so hungry after an 80km cycling tour through the mountains, and they just looked sooo good. Turns out they tasted even better than they looked. Crispy fried tortillas topped with lettuce, sweet potato, carrot, corn, shredded beats, white Mexican cheese and pork with a delicious spicy salsa poured over it all. And only five pesos (45 cents Canadian, more or less) each! I started off with three and went back for a couple more.

I won´t be able to post my own picks until I get back home but I found a few online that look a little like the ones I had yesterday.

Las chalupas de San Cristobal de las Casas

you dirty asshole! I'm so goddamn jealous. Bring me back some hot sauce

You can get all the genuine hot sauces you want, along with anything else Mexican from dried chillies poblanos to homemade tortillas at a little tienda next to the Salvadoran restaurant La Cabaña, at 848 Merivale Rd. SnarfmasterC introduced me to this excellent papuseria last summer. The restaurant is great, serving genuine Salvadoran food, and the little food shop attached is a fantastic resource for folks who want to cook the real thing at home for themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from Scottsdale AZ. We went to some amazing restaurants but one of the highlights was this awesome patio bar called The Salty Seniorita. We had a 6 pack of mixed tacos and a few margaritas in the sun on Saturday afternoon. It was awesome!

If anyone is ever in Scottsdale, I had one of the best meals ever at Mastro's Ocean Club. It cost a ton of money but my wife's company footed the bill. Even if I had paid, it was worth every penny!

Edited by Guest